View Vacancy - Events Manager (BEL18.224)
The UK Representation to the European Union (UKREP) in Brussels is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for an Events Manager.
A central role within UKRep’s new Public Diplomacy team and sitting at the heart of the Permanent Representation, you will deliver a new events hub, working closely with the rest of the building to develop a series of UKRep-branded events, ranging from working groups and policy receptions to large-scale events.
A brand new team at the forefront of our transition to becoming a third country Mission, the Public Diplomacy team forms one of three core engagement teams at the centre of the UK’s Permanent Representation to the EU.
Our overarching objective is to shape the debate in Brussels, which we achieve by leading UKRep’s overall campaign, engagement and public diplomacy strategy in close cooperation with London; event planning; managing cross-cutting senior Ministerial and officials’ visits & engagement with third countries, industry, NGOs, think tanks and other key opinion formers within the Brussels bubble.
This is an exciting time to be in Brussels – we all work at the coal face of communicating the UK Government’s key messages to an important range of decision makers and influencers. Your role will be central to our success.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Private Offices, the Virtual Engagement and Visits teams to develop an events hub. The hub will lead on and coordinate events ranging from large receptions to targeted events, promoting UK interests and establishing our position as a leading non-Member State influencer in Brussels. The successful candidate will work closely with desk officer to develop and deliver these events and will determine the success criteria and monitor the effectiveness of events; ultimately informing the direction of future events;
- Develop relationships and seek out strategic partnerships with likeminded partners to deliver tailored events, seeking funding from internal and external sources, developing detailed events plans. Once funds have been established, will manage this budget alongside the Virtual Engagement Team and the Visits team;
- He/ she will also develop and promote a programme of high-quality events to fit the Brussels calendar, building on best practice and sharing outcomes to develop a coordinated cross-building events management system. This won’t only support senior officials in Brussels – once up and running, this hub should also serve to support and encourage senior Ministerial visits from the UK.
- Previous relevant experience in events management planning and delivery;
- Demonstrated experience in resource or budget management;
- Excellent interpersonal, customer handling and communication skills;
- Excellent organisational skills, with proven ability to plan and prioritise tasks;
- Strong planning and self-management skills;
- Previous experience of working in a team;
- A customer-focused approach;
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems and pay close attention to detail;
- A self-starter, able to work autonomously;
- Good IT skills with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel);
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Advanced French;
- Strong IT skills, including proficiency in MS Office software and experience of social media; Driving Licence.
- University Degree;
- Understanding of the European Union and of the UK Government;
- Project management experience;
- Ability to think strategically to spot opportunities;
- Other languages.
This is a full-time permanent position for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly gross salary for this position is € 3,865.40, B3 (L) level (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.