View Vacancy - Communications Officer (ESP18.299) - Maternity Cover
The British Embassy in Madrid is looking for a hard-working and dynamic team player to fill in a maternity leave in the Communications team. This is a multi-faceted role: we are looking for someone to co-deliver fast and accurate daily media summaries, attend media on consular-related issues, produce weekly internal communications emails, oversee the team budget, organise fortnightly staff meetings, and manage the “Britain is GREAT” branding and marketing materials.
You will have demonstrable experience of: internal and/or external communications, collaborative work within and across teams, confidence in liaising with colleagues at all levels and with external partners and suppliers, flexibility and effective organisation of your time and delivery of results.
You will be part of our friendly Communications team, working closely with other Embassy teams, and across the network of consulates that the UK has across Spain. It is an exciting time to be working at the heart of the UK-Spain bilateral relationship, and there may be opportunities for travel with the role.
The British Embassy in Madrid, which promotes and represents British interests in Spain, is a supportive working environment and embraces flexible working. The Embassy also offers a wide programme of professional and personal L&D opportunities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-produce fast, accurate daily summaries of relevant stories in the media, for circulation to senior audiences in Spain and the UK;
- Internal communications: weekly internal email and develop and organise all staff meetings;
- Handle consular communications in Spain, including prevention campaigns and media interest in relevant cases, in close coordination with Consular colleagues;
- Oversee the team’s budget (approximately £40k annually), including spending on media materials, events and travel;
- Brand manager for the “Britain is GREAT” branding campaign, including working with our external supplier and other teams across the Spain network of consulates;
- Be part of the communications response in a crisis, working outside normal hours as necessary.
- Fluent English and Spanish, verbal and written (C level, according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)
- Ability to work across teams and be credible with senior colleagues
- Strong organisational and numeracy skills, good eye for detail and accuracy
- Capacity to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Experience of communications drafting and delivery, as well as working with the media
- Experience of event delivery, branding and production of publicity materials
- Ability to respond flexibly to changing priorities, and occasionally work out of hours
- Willingness to travel within Spain when required.
- Experience of overseeing a budget and procurement procedures
- Knowledge of and interest in UK-Spain relations, UK and Spanish politics, news and current affairs in Spain
- Awareness of the work of the British Embassy and Consulates across Spain
- A university degree or equivalent qualification
This is a full-time temporary contract, for a maternity cover (around 5 months) . The working hours are 37.5 hrs per week. Normal working hours are Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00 hours.
The successful candidate is subject to a confirmation of a background check, security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Spanish Social Security Scheme and will therefore not be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy based on gross annual salary.
Regarding taxation, the Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with tax exempt status and does not collect taxes for other States. Employees are fully responsible for payment of Spanish income tax at the legally required rate.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Spain. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Spain are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Spanish employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 of the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We kindly advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application. Only applications completed and submitted before the closing of the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.