View Vacancy - Deputy Head of Communications & Spokesperson
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Communications, Press and Media
- With the Deputy Head of Communications (Prosperity), manage the team delivering communications outreach through media and stakeholder relations, event management and digital diplomacy. Maintain a high standard of delivery from a motivated and talented team. Directly line manage two communications officers.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for the British government in the United States on the full range of issues. Work closely with government departments in the UK, particularly the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Number 10, Ministry of Defence, and Home Office on managing UK-related news. This will include weekend and out-of-hours work, shared with the other Deputy Head of Communications (Prosperity).
- Advise the Ambassador, Deputy Ambassador, Trade Commissioner and other UK government officials on engagement with the US and UK media. Review and help draft materials for public use, including blogs, op-eds, and speeches.
- Advise UK government Ministers and officials on media and public engagement when visiting the US, and supervise the team’s delivery of visits by Ministers and Members of the Royal Family.
- Oversee the team’s work in developing, executing and evaluating communication campaigns on a range of issues, including but not limited to the UK-US defence and foreign policy partnership.
- Cultivate and maintain excellent relationships with US media and US-based UK media.
- Provide advice to US network’s internal communications to staff.
- Alongside colleagues, provide strategic support, training, and direction for the communications team and the network of communications officers at British Consulates throughout the country.
- Five to eight years’ experience in communications including in media engagement and preferably with a governmental or international organisation.
- In-depth knowledge of US media.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high performing team.
- Excellent team-working and interpersonal skills, including experience of working with and briefing senior level officials, politicians or executives.
- Strategic insight and experience in using digital media channels.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekends for events and breaking news.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in and knowledge of foreign affairs, national security and/or defence.
- Knowledge of UK media
Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
3 July 2018
North America, Caribbean and British Overseas Territories
27 August 2018
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
This opportunity is closed to applications.