View Vacancy - Communications Officer, Syria Office Beirut
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to develop and lead the UK’s communication work on Syria to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment. Based in the UK’s Syria Office in Beirut, and working with colleagues in London, Istanbul and Dubai, you will be responsible for the communications of the UK Government’s network of offices that focus on Syria, in support of UK policy objectives.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
You will be responsible for producing fast-paced media and communications on a constantly evolving conflict, improving the reach and impact of the UK’s messages, and helping to influence global opinion.
With direction from colleagues in London, and working with colleagues in the Syria Overseas Network, you will provide a major contribution to the UK Government’s main digital platform for Syria – UK for Syria – using your knowledge to create effective strategic and rapid-response communication campaigns that helps raise Syrian voices, mobilise social and mainstream media and promote UK policy (proactively, and in rapid response to the news-cycle). You will ensure that there are regular and strategic updates to our social media properties, working with staff in London and across the Syria Overseas Network to develop and execute campaign strategies, narratives and tactics, strengthening our digital media influencing. You will be responsible for developing and designing a rich calendar of dual-language (English and Arabic) social-first digital content, tracking and reporting back on the performance and impact of communications on UK for Syria properties.
This role will require you to ensure our communications support the whole spectrum of the UK’s Syria policy, from shining the spotlight on human rights abuses, to raising understanding of the UK’s support for a political solution to the conflict, to pressing for humanitarian access and promoting the UK Government’s Chevening scholarship programme to Syrians.
You will need to build an effective network of Syrian and international journalists and key partners working on Syria to allow you to promote UK messages and gather information on the situation on the ground in Syria, as well as the media and political situation in Syria.
You will be working closely with the UK Government’s communications teams based in London and the regional media hub in Dubai, providing guidance and advice on the Syrian media landscape and audiences, and supporting the UK’s Special Representative for Syria, raising his profile when he is in the region. This will include supporting him on digital communications, arranging interviews with the media and ensuring he is well briefed on media developments.
Additionally the candidate will also promote closer working and collaboration amongst UK government staff working on Syria from across the region (Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey) and the UK.
Key Competences required for the job:
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. For all staff, it’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
- Excellent communication skills in English language (oral and written)
- Excellent communication skills in Arabic language (oral and written)
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure and on own initiative
- Excellent organisational skills and flexible team player
- Excellent digital media and campaigns skills (planning and execution) including on online platforms including Twitter and Facebook
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a strong client focus approach
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. The Embassy is committed to ensuring that you are able to maintain a suitable work-life balance. Leave entitlement is 18 days plus 14 public holidays.
Some flexibility in working hours will be permitted subject to negotiation and agreement. The successful candidate will be required to attend set weekly meetings and some internal and external events possibly after working hours.
The embassy offers a competitive remuneration package in line with local labour law (including transport, family, education allowances, and medical insurance coverage). Specific training and mentoring for the role will be provided for the successful candidate.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90 day probationary period.
The closing date for applications is on 15 July 2018 at 23:55.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered. Interviews will be held at the British Embassy Beirut Office .Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted. Previous applicants in the same role need not to apply.
Candidates must ensure that they are eligible to work and reside in Lebanon.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Lebanon employment law
This opportunity is closed to applications.