View Vacancy - Policy Support Officer (FRA18.320)
The British Embassy in Paris is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. It is also part of the UK’s France Network (including offices in Lyon, Bordeaux and Marseilles and representation to international organisations in Paris (OECD and UNESCO) and Strasbourg (CoE).
The British Embassy is currently looking for a Policy Support Officer to work in Paris. The main purpose of the job is to support the work of the Foreign Policy Team to understand and influence French foreign and security policy through visits, targeted projects and supporting the wider objectives of the Embassy.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Team coordination and engagement and budget management (30%): general administrative support to the Foreign Policy Team, including setting up meetings, dealing with routine inquiries and correspondence; budget management; managing the team’s engagement plan;
- Visits and events management (50%): Events and inward visit planning and execution for official visitors; assistance with programme conception, overseeing logistics, transport and accommodation;
- Research and policy support (10%): Conducting research and reporting on a variety of foreign policy issues in support of team priorities;
- Wider corporate support (10%): Support to wider Embassy corporate activity and projects, including eg. organisation of events and workshops, budget and knowledge management.
- Very good French and English, both oral and written;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Reliability, patience and an ability to work under pressure and to prioritise;
- Proactive approach, with a focus on anticipating problems and proposing solutions;
- Ability to work in a team and independently, and to develop a good range of contacts;
- Able to communicate clearly.
- Experience of research, information gathering and report writing;
- Knowledge of and interest in foreign policy;
- Event management experience.
This is a part-time position for a permanent contract (CDI). We welcome applications from candidates willing to work on a flexible work pattern.
All appointments are subject to professional background check and satisfactory security clearance. The successful applicant will be required to provide a copy of his/her passport or national identity card for all nationalities held, an up-to-date criminal record (casier judiciaire) for recent countries of residence (which can be obtained online at www.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/), two written proofs of address (utility invoices and/or bank statements) and two references.
The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for France in order to apply. Applications must clearly indicate all nationalities held by candidates.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in France are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local French employment law and FCO guidance for Local Staff. The posts we offer are not an entry point into the UK’s Diplomatic Service.
Your application will only be considered if you follow the guidance below:
- Your application must be sent in English only;
- Your application must clearly indicate all nationalities you hold.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.