View Vacancy - CPK - Head of Public Diplomacy Campaigns, C4(L) (Maternity Cover – 8 Months)
The British Embassy, Beijing, Communications Team is responsible for coordinating all public-facing aspects of the network of UK Embassy and Consulates in China. We are an energetic and creative team and, building on a successful Head of Government visit earlier this year we’ve got high ambition for making a big impact in China in the coming years. The Campaigns Manager will have an important role in promoting the UK’s ‘soft power’ and ‘values’ messages across China on our core campaigns (recent examples include the Spirit of Youth campaign and the gender equality initiative Be Yourself: Pledge for Progress) as well as working on a number of smaller projects and events (for example the British Embassy open day or events to mark significant occasions).
The Head of Campaigns will have a key role in leading the UK’s ‘soft power’ efforts in China. The successful candidate will be responsible for devising, designing and delivering public diplomacy projects that support the UK’s objectives in country. They will be responsible for coming up with ideas that engage and influence our target audiences. The jobholder will need to take a proactive approach to developing publicity plans, and make the most of the full range of communications channels that are available to the Embassy. You will also have oversight of the China Network’s internal communications, ensuring that our staff are effectively kept up to date and engaged on a range of corporate and cross-network priority issues.
The successful candidate will be both creative and strategic – able to come up with ideas which are not only engaging and high impact, but also aligned with the broader UK mission. They will also be well organised and have a track record in delivery – making a reality of their creative sparks. Communication and collaboration will be key – working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, both in China and the UK – as well as the proven ability to lead. Creating innovative and creative strategic partnerships with external partners such as media and commercial partners will also form a crucial part of the role.
The role has line management of two members of staff, and will countersign for a third. Whilst experience of line management is highly desirable, what’s more important is that the candidate demonstrates the potential to get the best from others.
This is a role that encourages creativity, drive and imagination. You will have access to some of the Embassy’s most high-profile visitors and your work will be seen by very senior audiences in China and the UK. If you want to grab people’s attention, work on exciting projects, and have the licence to pursue your own ideas, then this is the job for you!
- Strategic Campaign Priorities: To design and deliver a programme of activity for 2018/19 which supports the China Network’s three key priority campaigns: Illegal Wildlife Trading, EU Exit and Be Yourself (gender equality), working across all platforms and with relevant partners in the Network to maximise impact and make best use of limited resources and take advantage of high level visits and dialogues.
- Internal Communications: Providing oversight of the China Network’s Internal Communications plans and delivery – ensuring messaging is effective and timely, keeping staff informed and engaged.
- Representation and Stakeholder Engagement: Working with the Communications Counsellor to represent the interests of the China Communications Network with senior leadership, colleagues and partners across the Embassy and Consulates, as well as with external stakeholders from a range of sectors – public and private, British and Chinese.
- Line Management and Team Leadership: Providing effective line management to two direct reports and indirectly to one other team member, making appropriate use of coaching and learning & development. Providing strategic direction and leadership to the wider Campaigns activity across the Network in both Beijing and the Consulates.
- 5+ years experience of working in Communications or related industry
- Experience of working in China
- Line management exprience
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this part time position is CNY 27,396 / month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 35,742 / month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (China Standard Time) on 13 July 2018.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
This opportunity is closed to applications.