View Vacancy - Prosperity, Science and Innovation Officer, British Consulate-General, Calgary
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate-General in Calgary is seeking a highly motivated Prosperity, Science and Innovation Officer to lead on economic, trade policy and innovation initiatives to promote UK interests in the Canadian prairie provinces. The jobholder will work closely with the Consul-General, the UK Dept for International Trade (DIT) Team and communications staff as well as the UK Science and Innovation Officer network in Canada, to identify and develop opportunities for UK-Canada economic growth and innovation collaboration.
The British Consulate-General Calgary is one of five UK diplomatic offices in Canada. It represents the UK in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. It is responsible for: promoting British exports, attracting investment into the UK, stimulating innovation collaboration, and more generally promoting understanding of UK policies and the importance of the UK-Canada relationship.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Monitor local economic and policy developments of relevance to UK interests. Identify and build key stakeholder relationships.
Implement economic and trade policy initiatives including provincial dimensions of post-brexit bilateral free trade arrangements between the UK and Canada.
Working with DIT colleagues, help identify, and seek the removal of, market access barriers for UK companies.
Understand and build key stakeholder relationships in the innovation ecosystems of the prairie provinces.
Liaise with key Albertan stakeholders in the implementation of the recently signed Alberta UK Memorandum of Understanding on Co-operation in Science, Technology and Innovation. The MOU focuses on four key sectors: Artificial Intelligence; Health and Life Sciences; Agri-tech and Agri-food; and Clean Growth and Smart Cities.
Development and delivery of funded projects such as commissioning reports, managing visits to and from the UK and schemes to stimulate innovation partnerships.
Support wider UK prosperity goals through external communication and engagement opportunities to underline UK economic and innovation excellence.
For relevant activity ensure appropriate external media attention and promotional activity through social media, blogging etc in collaboration with communications staff.
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelors’ degree minimum;
- A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience
- Experience or demonstrated interest in economic and trade policy matters;
- Experience or demonstrated interest in innovation policy and understanding of the role of innovation in economic growth;
- Strong networking skills and confidence with external clients;
- Strong oral/written communication skills with a range of stakeholder types and levels;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Good organisational and project management skills working to tight deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Positive and flexible attitude – working in a small team supporting each other as required eg helping out with major events.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Willingness to travel in the prairies and occasionally to Ottawa and UK.
- Familiarity with the UK through, work, study or travel would be useful.
This opportunity is closed to applications.