View Vacancy - Estates Assistant (LVA19.447)
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit an Estates Assistant
Main purpose of job:
To support the Estates Manger in planning and implementing the requirements set out in the property compliance and risk assessment documents (e.g. Property, Fire, Gas, Lifts, Electrical), to ensure Post’s compliance with FCO Health & Safety and Fire Safety policy and local legal building regulations. Provide administrative support by ensuring all work is appropriately documented and entered into systems on SharePoint and Pyramid, and ‘Purchasing to Pay’ process is implemented; and by managing the inventory of supplies, materials and tools.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support the Estates Manger and the Technical Works Officer / Supervisor (TWO/TWS) in prioritising, planning and implementing forward maintenance work and the requirements of FCO Health & Safety and Fire Safety policy, local legal building regulations and technical inspections’ recommendations, in particular Property Compliance Assessment, Fire Risk Assessment, Gas Inspection Report, Lifts Inspection Report, Electrical Installations Inspection report, and to perform inspection of works and documentation. Consult with regional TWO and TWS on finding the right technical solutions to maintenance issues.
- Provide administrative support to Estates Manager by filing appropriate documentation for all estates work, and by ensuring correct forms are uploaded onto SharePoint and Pyramid on a timely basis. Source quotations from contractors; credit card purchases and timely accounting for transactions; implement ‘Requisitioner’ and ‘Receiver’ responsibilities of the ‘Purchasing to Pay’ process to ensure timely payments to contractors.
- Ensure that routine annual, quarterly and monthly maintenance works are performed by specialist contractors on a timely basis, according to the maintenance schedules/contracts. Ensure that the contractors provide appropriate documentation of the work performed, as well as any recommendations for suggested future repairs to avoid possible breakdowns or to prolong the lifespan of systems.
- Assist the Estates Manager in facilities management: perform regular inspection of buildings, technical systems, Health & Safety and Fire Safety checks in the Embassy compound; bring to the attention of Estates Manager or Head of Corporate Services any issues discovered, and recommend appropriate action (e.g. maintenance, repair); file appropriate inspection reports and upload them onto systems.
- Follow-up on inspection reports and staff requests by performing maintenance/repair work where quick, simple solutions can be applied, or, with the prior consent and budget approval of the Estates Manager or the Head of Corporate Services, liaise with specialist contractors if the issue requires more complex/specialist skills and knowledge. Ensure that all maintenance/repair work done for each property by the Estates Assistant or the contractor is properly documented, specifying the work that has been done, the equipment repaired/replaced, and noting the next maintenance date if appropriate.
- Make sure that any maintenance/repair works performed in Embassy estates (either by jobholder or suppliers) follow Health and Safety guidance, and that secure work practices and appropriate protective gear are used at all times.
- Responsible for managing the inventory of supplies, materials and tools.
- Experience in facilities management; including knowledge and skills in technical/maintenance works
- Self-organising skills, incl. prioritising time, dealing with multiple priorities;
- Forward planning skills.
- IT literacy, specially a good command of MS Office programs
- Fluent level of Latvian proficiency (both oral and written)
- Intermediate level of English proficiency (both oral and written)
- Clean and valid driving license
- Service-mindedness, attention to detail.
- Well organised (e.g. organising paperwork in folders, organising tools, inventory)
- Intermediate level of Russian proficiency (both oral and written)
- Good at communicating with stakeholders (team, customers, suppliers, etc.)
- A team player, but also capable of doing the work on their own
This is a full-time, permanent position of 40 hours net per week.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Latvia are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Latvian labour law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Latvia and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.