View Vacancy - VNT - Personal Assistant and Residence Manager, A2(L)
Main purpose of job:
To organise the UK High Commissioner’s meetings and diary, maintain access to senior contacts, write official letters including on protocol issues, and to provide administrative support to the UK High Commissioner and the Deputy High Commissioner (DHC), to organise and run the official Residence for official events/visitors, and to oversee its maintenance and human resources.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Personal Assistant (40%)
- Organise the High Commissioner’s diary and arrange meetings for her and the Deputy High Commissioner.
- Maintain an accurate senior-level contact list (diplomats, government ministries, business, NGOs etc).
- Maintain access to senior level contacts (ministries, Head of State, Prime Minister etc) and ensure local protocol procedures are carried out properly.
- Provide administrative support to the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner, such as arranging travel, note-taking, and drafting letters.
Residence Manager (40%)
- Directed by the High Commissioner to organise official events and guests at the Residence
- Manage the food stock at the Residence.
- Prepare basic food items for official visitors.
- Provide the Corporate Services Officer (CSO) with written reports on the Residence when requested.
- Lead on ensuring the efficient running of the Residence, such as managing a Residence furniture maintenance programme.
- Assist the CSO to plan Residence projects.
Human Resources (20%)
- Assist DHC with terms and conditions of service for local staff and ensure compatibility with local labour law, and with UK health & safety regulations.
- Working closely with the HR Hub to provide guidance on sensitive staff matters for both diplomatic and locally employed staff, including management issues and dispute resolution.
- Working closely with the Pay and Benefits Team of the HR Hub to ensure local staff pay scales and performance related pay increases are reviewed regularly and fairly. Monitor expenditure on pay to ensure it remains within budget allocation
Other duties as necessary and as determined by the High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner.
- Knowledge of local government ministries
- Intermediate levels of IT knowledge (sending e-mails, electronic diary management etc)
- Good track-record of dealing with senior customers
- Fluent spoken and written English; Fluent spoken and written [Bislama and/or French]
- Experience of working for similar organisations (diplomatic missions, government ministries, international organisations)
The starting monthly salary for this position is VUV 118,918.
There will be continual on-the-job learning and access to the UK’s online Diplomatic Academy training courses.
We will consider flexible working arrangements in line with the High Commission terms and conditions of service.
All applications must be received before 23:55 local time on the day of the specified deadline.
Applications must address experience against the role responsibilities and include a current CV.
We are still in the process of including Vanuatu as one of the drop down options under the nationality field. Thus in the meantime, kindly select any nationality in the drop down and then we have included a question on the application form that will allow you to note if you are of Vanuatu nationality. We will then refer to your response to this multiple choice question.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
This is a new role in a brand-new High Commission. As new procedures and functions are tested, we would expect some changes to each role in the Mission in the first year until things are established. Thus, the ideal candidate would be flexible and positive in accommodating these changes.
This opportunity is closed to applications.