View Vacancy - DXB - Media Officer B3(L)
The British Embassy Dubai has a vacancy for a Media Officer for a fixed-term contract of one (1) year, with a possibility of extension.
As part of the Regional Communications Hub, the jobholder will support the UK Government Regional Arabic Spokesperson and other senior representatives in preparing for interviews (especially broadcast) with pan-Arab media. You will monitor and evaluate media coverage of stories of UK interest and build and maintain honest relationships with wide range of media. You will proactively identify opportunities and provide advice on developments and draft news stories and press releases. You will also be working collaboratively with colleagues in the Regional Communications Hub, the Network, and other UK Government departments.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor and report on a daily basis top stories in pan-Arab media (broadcast and print).
- Produce more periodic analytical reports on wider trends in pan-Arab media (broadcast and print) or coverage of particular stories/ issues as tasked
- Support the UK Government Regional Arabic Spokesperson and other senior representatives in preparing for interviews (especially broadcast) with pan-Arab media.
- Build and maintain honest relationships with wide range of media in Dubai and beyond to understand their priorities and processes.
- Proactively identify opportunities for interviews or content and provide advice on the tone of coverage, and whether the UK should comment.
- Draft news stories and press releases.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Regional Communications Hub, the Network and other UK Government departments to build capacity, understand audiences, share best practice, develop strategies, monitor and evaluate impact, and continually learn.
Key competencies required:
- Seeing the Big Picture - Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs, focusing your contribution on the activities which will meet the organisation’s goals and deliver the greatest value. Scanning the political context and taking account of wider impacts to develop long term implementation strategies that maximise opportunities to add value to the citizen and support economic, sustainable growth.
- Collaborating and Partnering - Creating and maintaining positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Delivering at Pace - Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Leading and Communicating - Leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm, and supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of stakeholders. Establishing a strong direction and a persuasive future vision; managing and engaging with people with honesty and integrity, and upholding the reputation of the organisation.
- Background in media with an excellent list of contacts and intimate knowledge of local and regional media landscape.
- Arabic speaker with excellent English skills, both written and spoken.
- Able to write clear, concise, and engaging content for offline and traditional channels in both English and Arabic. Able to draft accurate, insightful reports on media coverage of issues, as well as the changing nature of the media itself.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with confidence to work on their own initiative. Proven ability to engage and influence at a senior level internally and with external contacts, and collaborate effectively across Embassy teams.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes.
- Experience of working in a similar role with a significant responsibility in either the public or private sector in the UK or the UAE.
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking, on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 13,743 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday.
The jobholder will be required to be flexible in their approach to hours worked as media and communications work may involve working out of hours to meet business needs. Work outside core hours will be compensated by time off in lieu (TOIL) or, by prior agreement, overtime.
Flexible and remote working to meet individual needs will be considered in line with FCO and Embassy policies.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role. Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 27 June 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The British Embassy Dubai is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.