View Vacancy - PA to the High Commissioner and Residence Events Manager A2 (05/19 KG)
Main purpose of job:
To provide an efficient and effective Personal Assistant role to the High Commissioner by managing her office and diary. To act as Events Manager, ensuring that official events at the Residence and visits are run professionally and efficiently. In the run up to and during CHOGM 2020 in Kigali, to support the British delegation. To play a supporting role for Consular Services at the High Commission.
Roles and responsibilities
- To manage the High Commissioner’s office, meetings and diary, maintaining the highest possible standards
- Take meeting notes if necessary
- Manage events to be hosted at the Residence, working with relevant staff to ensure success of all events
- Lead preparation of Queen’s Birthday Party (QBP)
- Manage Entertainment budget and participate in Budget Holder meetings
- Line Manage two Residence staff according to FCO Good Line Manager Charter
- Support preparations for the British Delegation to CHOGM 2020 in Rwanda
- To act as Consular Assistant and cover for the Pro-Consul when not in office
- Manage visits by the Defence Attaché and other FCO staff
- Provide PA support to DHM whenever needed
- Any other task that may be asked by the Line Manager but that is within this role
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Manage 2 staff at the Residence (housekeeper and cook)
Oversee and manage budget for entertainment at the Residence.
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a PA or Office Administrator or Events Management with Advanced diploma in Office Administration or Executive Secretary or similar, or a degree level qualification in any subject; OR 5 years experience without above qualifications;
- Excellent communication skills in English (writing and oral)
- Very good organisation and planning. Excellent computer skills (MS word and Excel)
- Motivated, efficient and organised
- Excellent team player
- Strong people management skills
- Experience working in an international organisation or diplomatic mission
- Proficient in Kinyarwanda language
- Annual Leave: 25days per year
- Maternity leave: 4 months fully paid
- Paternity Leave: 10 days fully paid
- Medical cover: 100% for staff and legal dependent (Regional cover plus India)
The gross conditioned working hours for staff at the British High Commission are 40 hours per week.
The working hours of the British High Commission are 08.00 to 17.00 Monday to Thursday and 08.00 to 12.00 on Friday. On Monday to Thursday, staff may take a one hour lunch break between 12.00 and 14.00.
Would suit some flexible hours or occasional working from home. Job holder occasionally needs to work evenings when events are being held
Learning and development opportunities:
The BHC takes learning and development very seriously. We offer formal training courses and opportunities for mentoring, shadowing, as well as on the job learning. Job holders are expected to take the initiative to develop themselves, working closely with their line manager.
Formal consular training will be offered so the jobholder can provide consular cover.
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kigali are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Rwanda.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: EO=B3
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.