View Vacancy - Programme Manager - C4
Main purpose of job:
FCO Afghanistan is looking for a high calibre, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to work closely with a Senior Programme Manager on the Law and Order Trust Fund Afghanistan (LOTFA) and the Afghan National Army Trust Fund (ANATF). The Programme Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager. As a member of the Security Sector Reform Team, they will assist in all matters related to security sector reform project management and programming, in identifying, implementing, managing and monitoring projects, and in following the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’s and other international community members positions in these matters. The Programme Manager will provide high-quality professional inputs and demonstrate a high degree of integrity in developing and implementing UK programmes. The Programme Manager will also provide wider support to the Security Sector Reform Team. The post will be a permanent contract with an immediate start. It provides an excellent opportunity to gain experience of working on an innovative and complex programme portfolio in Afghanistan.
Roles and responsibilities:
Day to day management of LOTFA and ANATF programmes, in close collaboration with C5 Senior Programme Manager. This will involve:
- Representing the UK at donor meetings (alone or with Senior Programme Manager), taking thorough notes, writing these up, circulating them with recommended actions;
- Collaboration with donor colleagues, UNDP and NATFO to identify key developments, opportunities and risks, in relation to the programmes, and working with them to generate solutions;
- Informing other UK Government and other stakeholders as needed on issues relating to these programmes;
- Identifying projects and programmes which the UK could fund, which fit within our strategic priorities and gaining the necessary approvals to fund these;
- Processing invoices, ensuring correct approvals processes followed;
- Processing of contract milestone payments;
- Management of filing systems, and ensuring all relevant documentation is appropriately stored;
- Assisting other team members as needed with their duties, and providing continuity as staff are on break (the Embassy operates a 6 week on 2 week off rotation for UK staff);
- Providing administrative support to the team.
To note that responsibilities may change in line with operational need.
Language: Fluent written and spoken English
Essential on arrival:
- A network of contacts within this community and the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with UK stakeholders, other donors, the Afghan Government and Non Governmental Organisations.
- Ability to prioritise (and re-prioritise), remain flexible and deliver quality work in a fast- paced environment.
- Excellent programme and financial management skills.
- Ability to work independently while building strong relationships with colleagues located remotely.
- Strong organisational awareness, and the confidence and proven ability to exercise initiative and common sense in applying programme management principles.
- Ability to represent the UK in a professional manner externally and internally.
- Good communication skills and excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to draft sound and clear reports for internal and external consumption on issues in the portfolio;
- Good team-working skills.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to integrate well in a team with colleagues from different backgrounds and working on different files.
- Good analytical skills with the ability to quickly identify key issues and explain them concisely.
- Thorough understanding of sectoral priorities and capacity to appreciate the full complexity involved in security sector reform.
- University Degree in in the area of international relations, political science, public administration or a comparable education backed up by strong professional experience in the field
- Strong knowledge of LOTFA and ANATF, and/ or the Afghan security sector (particularly the Ministry of Interior Affairs (MoIA);
- 5 to 6 years in planning, implementation or delivery of programmes, with at least two in a related area
- Experience in policy analysis and/or dialogue
The Local Staff Terms & Conditions for staff working in the British embassy will apply.
For external candidates, Gross salary will be $ 3,442.69 per month with $100 transport and $125 medical allowances.
We also offer a competitive package including a yearly performance-related bonus scheme, an annual leave entitlement of 25 days per year, a multicultural environment and learning and development opportunities.
The British Embassy actively promotes a diverse workforce. Women who hold the right skills and experience are encouraged to apply for positions at the British Embassy. The British Embassy is proud to support women in the workplace and we have introduced a number of family-friendly policies to allow women the opportunity to apply in our progressive and supportive environment. These include a ladies transport provision (with pick up/drop off points around the city) and flexible working conditions. The British Embassy’s active Women’s Association meets regularly to discuss wide-ranging subjects and the Local Staff Association ensures all Afghan staff has a voice.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered.
(a) Completed the Job Application Form
(b) Attach a detailed CV
(c) Complete the Motivation Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers. Else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 30th June 2019 midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
PLEASE NOTE: JOB OFFERS FROM THE UK GOVERNMENT
The UK Government, including the Department for International Trade, does not send unsolicited emails with job offers - either direct or through agents. Government vacancies are advertised on official websites in the UK: www.careers-civilservice.gov.uk or in Afghanistan: www.acbar.org and the British Embassy’s website.
All British Embassy vacancies are filled through a competitive process managed by our Human Resources Section. You will never be approached directly by the Ambassador with an offer of a job.
Some job scams falsely use the names and job titles of genuine Embassy staff. A genuine email from an official member of staff will always be sent from our official email address - @fco.gov.uk. It will never be sent from a hotmail or yahoo type email account.
This opportunity is closed to applications.