View Vacancy - Estates Manager (Embassy and Compound)
The British Embassy, Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Estates Manager (Embassy and Compound), Grade – B3 (L).
Purpose of the job:
Overall supervision and provision of day-to-day estates management of the Embassy buildings and Embassy compound, ensuring that the estate provides a safe, fit-for-purpose and appropriate place for UK staff to work that meets UK Health and Safety regulations and FCO standards. Bring together relevant experts in construction and maintenance to ensure that there is a programme of works in place to keep the Embassy, its offices and the compound maintained to high health and safety standards. Deliver high standards of customer service and be responsive to staff needs and requests.
Manage estate related budgets and be responsible for all related procurement and purchasing activities, ensuring the value for money is achieved.
- Day to day supervision and management of the Embassy’s buildings and compound in line with FCO policies and guidance
- Liaising with local and UK compliance colleagues to ensure that processes, record keeping and contracts are implemented and managed to ensure that maintenance is scheduled and carried out to FCO standards.
- Working with the Estates Manager (Residential), ensure that Technical Work Section is tasked appropriately to meet maintenance requirements (setting priorities dependant on the nature of the work load)
- Working with the Technical Works Supervisor, manage contractors, including accessing local or UK expertise as necessary and ensuring that they meet UK standards.
- Define and deliver compound related contracts, working with relevant experts to define the specifications and the Procurement Officer to ensure that relevant contracts are then in place for maintenance and other services. Ensuring that contractors deliver against contracts.
- Work with the Technical Works Group, Technical Works Supervisor and Technical Works Officer to ensure that general maintenance services and repairs are carried to the Embassy and its compound to a high standard and in line with Health and Safety requirements. Ensure value for money is achieved and services are stable and reliable.
- Ensure correct procurement policy and procedures are followed for procuring UK and local purchases for the Embassy, including selection of suppliers, vendor relationships. Ensure the integrity of the procurement process and value for money are achieved.
- Continuously improve the Embassy and its compound, implementing projects from small builds to major projects.
- Listen and respond to customer needs and act on feedback. Communicating across the Embassy to understand customer needs and requirements in relation to the Embassy and the compound.
- Management of an Estates Team that comprises an Estates Officer, the Technical Work Group (Office Manager plus 7 x tradesmen) 3 x handymen, 4 x cleaning staff
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Delivering Value for Money - The efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. Seeking out and implementing solutions, which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in being objective; using sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Delivering at Pace - Delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Fluent communication skills in English and Arabic language (both written and spoken, this will be tested).
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a similar estates / facilities management related role
- Candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Experience of managing and motivating staff
- Highly organised and able to deal with challenging situations.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office packages.
- Budget Management experience
- Project and Programme management experience
- Knowledge of UK Health and Safety legislation particular as it relates to buildings and estates.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy B3 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1577 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (pro-rated) plus 14 public holidays.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Jordan. Candidate's residence permit and work permit, and the expense to obtain them, will be their own responsibility.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A (600 words) covering letter/statement of suitability outlining the competence and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 26 June 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for interview/assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.