View Vacancy - Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director - DFID
The Department for International Development (DFID) in the British Embassy, Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Executive Assistant to the Deputy Director, Grade – A2 (L).
Purpose of the job:
The main purpose of this role is to provide administrative and organisational support to the DFID Deputy Director for Jordan and Iraq, based in British Embassy Amman. The job holder will also be responsible for assisting the Head and Deputy Head of DFID Jordan and working closely with the Office Manager in fulfilling some organisational tasks in the wider office.
This is a fast-paced role. The key components of the job are:
- Providing timely and efficient secretarial/logistical support to the Deputy Director, Head of Office and Deputy Head of Office;
- Providing efficient diary and email inbox management, ensuring the Deputy Director’s calendar is manageable and allows time for key responsibilities;
- Making sure the Deputy Director is briefed in a timely manner for internal, cross-Embassy and external meetings;
- Building relationships with key contacts across DFID and the whole Embassy and working confidently as an effective liaison between the Deputy Director and teams;
- Organising travel plans, visas, and processing travel claims;
- Working closely with the Office Manager to organise office-wide activities and events, VIP visits/visitors’ management, office-wide logistics;
- Ensuring activities hosted by the Deputy Director (e.g. receptions, meetings, events) are well-planned and delivered effectively;
- Participating in the wider Embassy initiatives as required.
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace - Delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English with strong attention to detail.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a PA or administrative role
- Highly organised with a strong ability to work proactively and manage a variety of competing priorities.
- Flexible team player who is able to work on their own initiative, and ready to take on emerging and high-profile tasks at short notice
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including confidence in promoting DFID and HMG interests.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office packages.
- Arabic language skills
- Experience of working in an Embassy environment or similar
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy A2 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1119 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (pro-rated) plus 14 public holidays.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Jordan. Candidate's residence permit and work permit, and the expense to obtain them, will be their own responsibility.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A (600 words) covering letter/statement of suitability outlining the competence and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 28 June 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for interview/assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.