View Vacancy - Personal Assistant & Events Manager to British Ambassador to Belgium (BEL19.337)
The British Bilateral Embassy in Belgium is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are seeking to recruit a Personal Assistant & Events Manager to British Ambassador to Belgium.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Personal Assistant & Private Office Management:
- Ensure the Ambassador is briefed ahead of appointments and speeches (this includes co-ordinating with Embassy leads);
- Line management responsibilities;
- Manage Diary: ensuring with Diary Secretary that incoming invitations and outgoing appointments are effectively managed. Keep Ambassador fully up to date and consulted on diary commitments;
- Proactively set up meetings for the Ambassador with key contacts, including at senior and ministerial level;
- Lead Embassy contact for outside voluntary charitable organisations of which the Ambassador is patron;
- Take a lead role in corporate issues including planning internal Embassy meetings involving the Ambassador;
- Provide ad hoc support for the Embassy Senior Management Team.
Plan, lead and execute Embassy events:
- Effectively plan and create high profile annual events (for example, manage the annual British Queen’s Birthday Party 400 guests). This will involve: generating ideas – including with outside partners, leading on the budget, negotiating sponsorship, identifying alternative venues where necessary, co-ordinating with internal and external caterers, planning invites, supervising preparation of guest lists;
- Supervise pipeline and execution of regular in-house events (for example, commercial dinners, lunches, receptions);
- Liaise closely with the Residence Manager to ensure full and effective use of shared British Residence;
- Manage the Embassy entertainment budget in relation to the above activities: ensuring bills are paid promptly and timely preparation of the monthly accounts statement.
This position would suit a highly organised and confident self-starter with a background in delivering effectively in a similar role. This is a fun but demanding job which offers great opportunities to develop PR and organisational skills.
The successful candidate will be able to fully demonstrate:
- Previous experience as a PA/Executive Assistant, ideally working to senior management;
- Previous experience of organising and delivering events;
- Previous line management experience;
- Operational level of both oral and written French and/or Dutch;
- The ability to plan ahead, think strategically and act on own initiative;
- A proven ability to deliver results in a fast-moving, busy high profile environment;
- A high level of discretion;
- Excellent customer service and strong interpersonal skills (you will be expected to work effectively within a small, busy team);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with the ability to deliver difficult messages diplomatically;
- An open and flexible approach (from time to time the position requires travelling to events within Belgium, working extended hours, weekend working, involvement in evening events and the need to work flexibly, sometimes at short notice);
- Strong IT Skills, in particular with Microsoft Office packages.
- Knowledge of Belgium Institutions;
- Basic knowledge of UK government/civil service structures;
- Previous experience of diary/database management;
- Creative flair.
This is a full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. This position will be filled on a "replacement contract" to cover a Maternity Leave. It is anticipated that the staff member will return in June 2020. This is only a guide and any possible earlier return or extension to this date would be discussed with the successful candidate.
The monthly gross salary for this position is €3,334.47 A2(L) level.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
Visa/passport requirements: Must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.