View Vacancy - KWT - Social Media Officer / Translator (AO)
The British Embassy in Kuwait is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Social Media Officer / Translator, job grade Administrative Officer (AO).
The jobholder will be responsible for managing the Embassy’s social media channels, in both English and Arabic, working with colleagues from across the Embassy and our media hubs in Dubai and London. They will create a variety of social media content showcasing the Embassy’s work in Kuwait and increasing our digital engagement.
The jobholder will also be responsible for the translation of official documents from English to Arabic and Arabic to English on behalf of the Ambassador and Political Team.
Roles and responsibilities:
Management of the Embassy’s Social Media Channels:
- Create and manage content for Embassy’s social media channels and run the Embassy’s programme of online engagement.
- Work with all teams within the Embassy to run campaigns in support of Embassy objectives.
- Take photos and videos during official Embassy functions, visits etc. and edit the footage as required.
- Liaise with London and the regional hub in Dubai on latest FCDO and region-wide digital diplomacy efforts.
- Monitor and evaluate the success of social media engagement through Hootsuite and pick up trends as they emerge in order to recommend improvements or suggest content to senior management and other teams.
- Act as official translator for the Ambassador and Political Team.
- Translate documents from English to Arabic and Arabic to English.
- Translate official and open-source documents, often to tight deadlines, providing advice on any cultural-linguistic sensitivities.
- Help to ensure the smooth running of the team and provide cover for and assistance to the press and media side, supporting the Communications and Campaigns Manager as and when required.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required.
Key behaviours required for the job:
- Communicating and Influencing - Communicate purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respect the needs, responses and opinions of others.
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Working Together - Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support.
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Are legally resident in Kuwait (Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country); and
- Complete and successfully pass all local and UK security checks, including professional background checks.
- Strong social media skills, including experience of publishing and monitoring the performance of posts on social media accounts such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams).
- Experience in photography, videography, and using video editing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic.
- Strong team player who can act on own initiative and work independently.
- Able to organise and prioritise workload and meet deadlines and changing priorities whilst maintaining strong attention to detail and without compromising the quality of the work.
- Proficient in using Hootsuite
- Knowledge of local culture, customs and traditions, including key trends among local audiences and stakeholders.
Working conditions and remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including a non-negotiable gross salary of KWD 769.32 per month. The package includes a good level of medical insurance, a return flight fare to your home country for non-Kuwaitis every two years, relevant social security payments for Kuwaiti nationals, and an engaging working environment. Leave entitlement is 30 days per year (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is for a full-time employment, on permanent contract, subject to a 90-working day probationary period.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours gross per week (this is made up of 35.5 hours net per week and a daily 30-minute lunch break). The normal working hours are 07:30 – 15:30 from Sunday to Wednesday and 07:30 – 13:30 on Thursday. Work outside of these hours may be required to cover events, visits, urgent announcements etc.
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning, and development model is applied in a flexible manner, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available. There will likely be an expectation of undertaking training specific to crisis response/ management in 2023.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must include:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Motivation essay, in the relevant sections of the online application form, stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and
- Examples in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date of receiving applications is on 16th December 2023 by 23:55 (local time).
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two - three months.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The start date mentioned in the advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Embassy Kuwait is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Kuwaiti employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.