View Vacancy - Office Administrator (BEL23.624)
Who are we?
The British Embassy in Brussels represents the UK’s political, economic and consular interests with Belgium. It forms part of a world-wide network of UK diplomatic missions and it is now recruiting for an Office Administrator to support the running of smooth operations across a range of areas of work.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
The Office Administrator will be part of the Ambassador’s Private Office, which sits alongside the larger Political and Public Diplomacy Team that engages the Governments of Belgium and Belgian partners in support of UK interests including foreign policy, economic relations, security, science and innovation and culture. The position would suit a self-starter with a keen eye for detail, who would work closely with the Ambassador’s Personal Assistant and Events Manager to ensure the smooth running of office processes as well as external engagements and events.
The Embassy is an exciting and often fast-paced environment. The job would suit someone who is able to multi-task; who can plan ahead whilst flexible to adapt and respond according to priorities of each day. We are also looking for a team player, to be part of a supportive work culture in which members work flexibly to support each other and share their skills.
Roles and responsibilities:
Being in charge of the Deputy Head of Mission’s diary:
- Setting up a large volume of appointments, including external appointments and conference calls;
- Filter and respond to mail and daily invitations;
- Organise efficient and cost effective transport for the Deputy Ambassador.
Support the Ambassador’s Personal Assistant and Embassy Events Manager:
- Help to compile guest lists and update the Embassy contacts database;
- Issue invitations and monitor replies;
- Provide practical help at events, such as registering guests;
- Manage the Ambassador’s diary when the PA is absent.
General administrative support in the Embassy:
- Assist with setting up meetings, including booking rooms, set-up, refreshments and (on occasions) note-taking;
- Keep management documents up-to-date, including the staff list, organigrams and mobile numbers for security alerts;
- Maintain well-organised stock of stationary and office materials, and place orders where necessary;
- Assist in maintaining a well-functioning office workspace, including reporting maintenance issues to facilitates management.
Our ideal Candidate shows:
- Full professional proficiency in English (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Proven ability to prioritise and deliver results, meet competing deadlines and work efficiently to tight timescales;
- Previous customer service experience and excellent customer service skills;
- Highly organised & have a keen attention to detail;
- Open and flexible approach;
- Ability to work effectively within a team;
- Strong IT Skills, in particular Microsoft Excel & Word;
- Willingness and ability to review, develop and improve existing systems.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience of diary management.
This is a full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. The position will be filled on a “replacement contract” to cover a leave of absence. It is anticipated that the staff member will return in the first half of the year 2024. This is only a guide and any possible earlier return or extension to this date would be discussed with the successful candidate. The monthly gross salary for this position is € 3,515.63 , AA level.
In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Passport: officers are expected to be in possession of a passport due to the possibility that they may be asked to undertake business travel.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR.
Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.