View Vacancy - Pro Consul (AUT505)
The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Pro-Consul.
The job holder will be independent, well organised and proactive with prior experience in customer service. The job holder will be providing Consular assistance and services to British nationals and support to the Vice Consul in the British Embassy in Vienna.
The jobholder would furthermore be expected to contribute to wider Consular Network and Embassy objectives and to support its positive working environment and to actively participate in Learning & Development efforts.
The small Consular team in Vienna is part of the wider EuroAsia Consular region that includes twenty-nine countries. The British Embassy in Vienna is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Providing consular assistance across the full range of casework; incl. visiting prisoners, dealing with people in hospital, victims of crime, and all other distressed British nationals.
- Carrying out vulnerability assessments and providing corresponding assistance to vulnerable British Nationals;
- Handling correspondence, telephone enquiries, post and counter enquiries and services;
- Accepting Emergency Travel Document (ETD) applications and processing them;
- Provision of guidance and support the Embassy’s Honorary Consulate Network in Austria;
- Making recommendations for Consular-relevant website and social media messages;
- Participate in mandatory trainings and workshops;
- Some travel might be required;
- Cover for Vice Consul during leave and absence periods.
- Performing other administrative duties as required (e.g. processing lost/stolen/recovered passports and UK driving licences, filing duties, etc.);
- Updating Consular information on GOV.UK and those lists available to British nationals e.g. lawyers lists, translators, funeral directors etc. are being kept current;
- Managing Consular fees and completing Consular Certificates and cashier duties;
Outreach and prevention
- Notarial work and documentary services
- Prepare and sign a few fee-bearing and notarial services, where applicable;
- Liaise with customers to refer them to the appropriate body depending on the notarial act (not / no longer performed at Embassy).
- Taking part in Post crisis preparedness efforts and activities, e.g. table-top & semi-live exercises, regular crisis meetings, eLearnings;
- Deploying to a crisis;
- Assisting in Post preparation and response to large-scale events (e.g. football matches)
- Responding to mass casualty incidents or crises.
- Language skills: excellent oral and written German & English;
- Previous experience in a customer facing role and the ability to respond to a wide range of customers’ needs;
- Flexibility, resilience, patience, and the ability to deal with difficult situations, including out of hours and in an emergency or crisis;
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- Adaptability and a positive mindset towards change and working as part of a wider team;
- Self motivated and able to work effectively and proactively without close supervision;
- Ability to display a high level of discretion and responsibility;
- Good telephone manner and communication skills;
- Very good IT skills, especially MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Knowledge of the Austrian administrative, justice & legal systems and social services;
- Experience in a similar role;
- Higher education.
This is a local staff position in the British Embassy Vienna; it is not a diplomatic designated position. The position is subject to the terms and conditions of British Embassy employees.
This is a full-time position of 5 days per week. Working hours are flexible and staff are entitled to time-off-in-lieu for extra hours worked. The annual leave entitlement is 25 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also enjoys 14 Austrian / UK public holidays per year and we are committed to ensuring a work / life balance.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they are legally able to work in Austria. The Embassy is not able to assist with any visa or sponsorship arrangements.
Monthly salary will be € 2.980,00 gross, payable 14 times a year for those liable for Austrian tax.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions service according to Austrian employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
This opportunity is closed to applications.