View Vacancy - Politics and Human Rights Intern
Main purpose of job:
To provide support to the Political Team, notably its Political Advisor and Human Rights Policy and Programme Manager in reporting and analysis of Colombia’s political and human rights situation. This role will provide critical support on data management, administrative duties, logistical and programme support to the management of programmes with our partners. The job holder will also support the broader team in analysis of current affairs, the humanitarian situation, and will support diplomatic engagement with political figures and civil society. This role will involve coordination of weekly political team meetings, minute taking, and working with the Ambassador and Deputy Ambassador’s private office.
Roles and responsibilities:
Support on internal politics reporting and engagement – 40%
- Provide support to analysis and reporting of Colombia’s internal politics and regional political dynamics.
- Attend meetings, events and drafting readouts on behalf of the Political Team.
- Provide political support across the embassy, to help deliver other teams’ objectives, e.g. on programming.
Support on Human rights delivery (40%)
- Support human rights programming, by helping review proposals, reports and budgets, while aiding update the UK Human Rights Strategy in Colombia.
- Support research and analysis into local human rights issues in Colombia as a UK Human Rights Priority Country.
- Support Human Rights Officer gather information to formulate strategies on Human Rights Defenders, Media Freedom, Preventing Sexual Violence and Peace Implementation.
Administrative Tasks (20%)
- Support administrative and logistical duties of the Political Team, with particular attention to mailbox management and management of events/ trips (diplomatic events, meetings with other embassies etc.) and stakeholders.
- Coordinate Weekly political team meetings and event in a secretariat function.
- Currently enrolled in the last semesters of university degree in Political Science, International Relations, Sociology, History or Law.
- Interest in politics, international relations and human rights.
- Available full-time. Responsible and committed.
- Sociable, able to interact and collaborate with different teams.
- Work well under pressure and against deadlines.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English and Spanish.
- Strong writing and reporting skills in English.
- Interest in UK/Government programmes.
Language: English & Spanish
Level of language required: Fluency in English and Spanish
- Event management experience
- Experience working in a team
- Knowledge and experience in politics and current affairs
- PR & Protocol Knowledge
Must have the legal status to live and work in Colombia.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
If during the reserve period of 6-12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
Working hours: Mondays to Thursdays 8:30 to 17:00, Fridays 8:30 to 13:30
On specific events, candidate might be require to work flexible hours.
This opportunity is closed to applications.