View Vacancy - Driver, Messenger & Corporate Services Assistant (01/21 DJ)
Main Purpose of the Job
As part of a small flexible team, provide driver, messenger services and support on other corporate services for the British Embassy in Djibouti.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a professional and efficient transport service to the British Embassy, in particular driving the Ambassador to and from business appointments as well as other Embassy staff members and visitors.
- Conduct vehicle checks on a daily basis. This includes ensuring that the vehicle/s are securely stowed, vehicle keys are securely locked away, and visual inspection that spare wheel, wheel jacks, etc. are in working order.
- Ensure the official vehicle/s are well maintained, clean both inside and out before each trip, check for and report any defects.
- Take vehicle/s for regular services or repairs and perform pre-trip inspections before each drive (i.e. No leaks or obstructions under the vehicle; seat belts & doors in working order; mirror & windshield secure; wiper blade up-perished; tyre tread & pressure checked & wheels secure; water, oil, brake fluid & fan belt checked; left side or car same as previous; licence disc valid & petrol cap secure; back window & tail lights secure, not cracked and boot securely closed; signal and head lights in working condition).
- Provide and confirm journey information with passengers well in advance. Perform a pre-visit (recce) of the route for official visits where appropriate.
- Adhere to Djibioutian traffic laws and regulations at all times.
- Transport Administration duties. These duties include maintaining an accurate record of all bookings, journeys, mileage records and fuel consumption.
- Carry out messenger duties as required including, managing the diplomatic bags, delivery of documents, invitations to the bank, MFA and other organisations.
- Make local purchases as required.
Corporate services support
- Carry out tasks as directed including:
- health and safety checks as per the Property Compliance Assesment (PCA)
- assist with preparation for dinners and receptions, including parking control and furniture set up and knock down
- customs clearance and other clerical tasks
- deliver letters and other official documents
- collect and drop off diplomatic bags
Applicants should be aware that this is a new position and the job content may vary as the work of the British Embassy evolves. We are looking for someone who enjoys flexibility.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
Embassy transport, fuel purchases
- Valid Djibouti Drivers Licence
- Fluent spoken and written English and French
- A good knowledge of Djibouti (city and country) and traffic laws;
- Relevant driving experience of not less than five years.
- Basic familiarity with using a computer
- Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position.
Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Djibouti are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Djibouti.
All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
Successful candidates not resident in Uganda will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.