View Vacancy - Trade Adviser (Creative, Consumer and Retail sectors) (ITA21.101)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Consulate General in Milan are part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Trade Adviser (creative, consumer and retail sectors) to:
- Promote and grow sustainable UK exports to Italy across the creative, consumer goods and retail/e-commerce sectors, support high potential SMEs from across the whole of the UK through the Department for International Trade (DIT) Europe Trade Hub, support Outward Direct Investment (ODI) by UK companies in the local market.
- Support the trade team in ensuring market access in the new framework of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU, and resolving existing and emerging market access barriers.
DIT in Italy is a rewarding and exciting place to work, offering:
- Work-life balance (flexible working; remote working);
- The Consulate will be closed on a number of British and Italian public holidays. Holiday falling on a Sunday may be compensated with an extra day normally added to the list of public holidays;
- All staff is enrolled on Italian state pension scheme;
For your career
- Job satisfaction: making a positive contribution to the UK’s economy and working for attractive sector such as Creative Industries, Consumer Goods, Retail and Retail Tech.
- Unique and exciting roles within the worldwide Government network, with opportunities to travel and work overseas, engaging with high level contacts;
- Performance related bonuses;
- Learning and development opportunities; Learning experiences - accessible learning and development (L&D) opportunities for everyone, including dedicated L&D days and working groups within the wider network such as; Diversity Champions Group, Women & Girl’s Policy Group, Think Green Group are a few examples
- An equal and diverse workplace.
As part of a wider Europe Regional DIT team, the job-holder will report to the Head of Creative, Consumer and Retail Trade Unit to assist with the implementation of DIT trade strategy in Italy and with the coordination of the Consumer & Retail Export Growth strategy across Europe trade teams and the Sector Team at DIT Headquarters (HQ).
In agreement with the team leader you will assist in the implementation of a dedicated strategy to drive a sustainable export growth of UK suppliers across the creative, consumer and retail sectors with the objective of gaining export wins and increasing the presence of UK businesses in Italy through direct investments. You will support the creative and consumer trade team in delivering the DIT clean growth and technology campaigns, identifying opportunities in the local market for sustainable consumer products and innovative technology for both online and offline retail businesses.
The successful candidate will be particularly focussed on developing new trade opportunities in the sub-sectors of sustainable apparel and textiles, cosmetics and toiletries, interiors and homeware, DIY gardening and sports equipment, hospitality and leisure. You will support UK companies and retailers of all sizes who are currently faced with the challenges of post-Covid recovery and transition to a new relationship with the EU. You will maintain relations with the key local industry associations and exhibition organisers and will contribute with new collaborations with local organisations.
The role will be based at the British Consulate in Milan and will require occasional travel in Italy and Europe and to the UK.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivery: Assist the Head of the Team in delivering export advice, contacts and market research to both established and new UK exporters, building and maintaining a network of contacts with key decision-makers in the Italian market to help promote UK excellence and innovation. Support the Head of the Team in delivering physical and digital events and b2b opportunities and in co-ordinating the DIT Europe consumer and retail trade teams’ strategy and activities, in particular in the sustainable consumption area. Engage with local buyers from industry and retail - including e-commerce platforms - and with distributors/agents to promote UK brands, introduce UK suppliers and understand possible market barriers. Support the team in identifying opportunities for overseas direct investment by UK companies in Italy and identifying suitable local business partner;
- Resources: maintain and update the team’s filing of internal market research and internal/external documents and the team’s outlook contacts; keep track of team’s travel and subsistence expenditure; process internal requisitioning of products or services purchases on the occasion of DIT projects; explore all internal and external media and social channels to keep team updated on major policy messages and market information;
- Capture: Ensure that the team’s services, interactions and export wins are entered timely and correctly in the DIT Data hub; ensure that all enquiries sent through Trade Hub are timely evaluated, processed and responded to; ensure that all DIT Italy or Europe business and project plans, events lists, stakeholders lists and all major Italy network lists are updated and maintained timely;
- Strategy: Contribute to the team’s export growth strategy with innovative ideas and collaborate with all DIT colleagues to identify synergies, share market knowledge, streamline procedures;
- Communication: In agreement with head of team, build solid relationships with UK clients in order to establish a regular dialogue aimed at managing a quality service and delivering value for money; maintain ongoing communication with local business partners to identify market gaps or barriers; maintain regular contact with the DIT Italy head of marketing and contribute to internal events list and marketing requirements;
- Personal: Demonstrate personal ambition for DIT’s Trade team including willingness to use of all the internal learning and development opportunities, ability to maximise resources, introduce innovative ideas and enhance capabilities leading to increased performance and effectiveness;
- Flexibility: Seamless integration into the existing DIT Trade team at Post and the wider Italy Network contributing when necessary to corporate and FCDO activities and events, task forces, duty rosters.
For more information about DIT please follow the link.
- Proficiency in English and Italian (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework* or equivalent);
- Knowledge of UK and Italian creative, consumer and retail scenario and strengths at country and regional level;
- Previous experience in private industry, preferably in retail or e-commerce;
- Creative thinking;
- Experience in account / relationship management of businesses;
- Proven CRM credentials;
- Ability to build rapport at all levels internally and externally;
- Having worked in international environments;
- Excellent use of Excel and other Microsoft programmes;
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Flexibility and ability to work on multiple projects.
- Awareness of the DIT mission;
- Understanding of the Low Carbon Growth and Technology campaigns and of how these campaigns can be promoted within the creative, consumer and retail industries in UK and Europe.
This is a full-time temporary position with a contract of 12 months with possibility of renewal by mutual consent, graded A2(L) according to the FCDO grading structure. The monthly gross salary is Euro 2312,07. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday 09.00 – 17.00.
The appointment is subject to security clearance, professional background check and the successful completion of a 4 month probationary period.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Rome are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please also be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
Please be advised that interviews will be conducted remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action.
The starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and this will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.