View Vacancy - Executive Assistant to the Consul General
Main purpose of job:
The British Consulate General in Montreal is recruiting for an Executive Assistant to the Consul General. The position is vital to the smooth running of the Consulate General, the UK Government’s office in Quebec. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis starting as soon as possible, subject to successful security clearance.
This is a varied and interesting role. The Executive Assistant will use their excellent administrative and customer service skills in a small, busy diplomatic mission that operates as part of the UK’s wider network of offices in Canada. Through supporting the Consul General and the wider team, they will contribute to the Consulate General’s work on investment and trade; science and innovation; and political and public affairs.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Specific responsibilities include the following; flexibility is required due to the varied nature of our work:
- Support to the Consul General, allowing them to carry out their duties effectively: diary management, scheduling meetings, maintaining contacts databases, writing official correspondence and and/or translating English texts into French for CG’s correspondence, preparing expense reports, arranging travel and other bookings, preparing background material for meetings, protocol liaison, facilitating maintenance of Consul General’s Residence, greeting visitors and preparing refreshments, ad hoc administrative support.
- Office Manager, ensuring the smooth functioning of the Consulate General: liaising with suppliers and vendors, organising office maintenance and/or security upgrades, answering general inquiries, handling visitors at front door, managing office supplies, arranging mail services, overseeing official vehicle maintenance and usage, acting as local lead on IT and information management, overseeing office health and safety, assisting with crisis preparedness, completing financial processes as required.
- Events, visits and other projects: Flexible support to the wider team through assisting with different projects as required. Event management: assisting or overseeing event planning and delivery, including issuing invitations, managing RSVPs, liaising with venues and arranging catering. Support on incoming official visits, including overseeing logistics, maintaining programmes and coordinating briefing and reports. Ad hoc support, for example assisting colleagues with research.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both French and English (to a professional standard C2)
- Strong IT skills, including MS Teams, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Good organisational and prioritisation skills
- Good interpersonal skills, able to form strong working relations including virtually
- Attention to detail whilst grasping the bigger picture
- Ability to ensure value for money in dealings with vendors and suppliers
- A positive and flexible team player, willing to help others and take on new tasks
- A professional demeanour, remaining calm dealing with difficult customers and confident greeting senior stakeholders
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Quebec
- Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada
- Familiarity with or knowledge of the UK
- Driver’s license
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
Learning and development opportunities:
The organisation offers enriching learning and development opportunities for all staff.
We promote flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.