View Vacancy - CPK - Campaigns and Internal Communications Officer, A2(L)
The China Network is operating with reduced staff because of the COVID-19 outbreak. Recruitment for this position may take longer than usual and may be cancelled or suspended. Job offers will be subject to a return to normal operations.
The Campaigns Team, within the Communications Section, is responsible for identifying opportunities to engage and interact with the public to promote the UK’s ‘soft power’ messages across China. The team is responsible for coordinating public-facing engagement, media and digital activity for the British Embassy in Beijing as well as across the network of UK Consulates in China. The aim of the Campaigns Team is to enhance the positive perception of the UK in China and drive consumer interest. The successful candidate for the Campaigns Officer role will be an integral part of the team responsible for developing and delivering online and offline public diplomacy campaigns and running events designed to interact with and ultimately influence our target audiences.
Your task will be to use creative methods to adapt and communicate our key messages to the Chinese public through skilful handling of external stakeholders (including media) as well as effective use of social and new media. The successful candidate will also be integral to the organisation for a range of activities/events to engage and interact with the public, often working closely with internal and external partners.
Candidates for this role need a proven track record in event and project management with experience in handling media and external stakeholder relationships. Excellent communication and organisational skills are required. You will need to demonstrate lots of energy, proactivity, an ability to generate ideas and a collaborative working style. The job may involve travel to cities around China to support nationwide campaigns.
You will also be responsible for the Embassy and network of Consulates’ internal communications. With 5 posts across China and more than 700 staff, clear and well-organised internal communication is essential to ensure effective coordination across the posts. Furthermore, with a network of considerable size, it is important to ensure that staff understand the bigger picture beyond their day-to-day jobs and feel a sense of belonging and pride in the UK government’s work in China.
In this role, you will support Internal Communications Manager to deliver a strategic approach to internal communications. Your role will give you great access to the whole China Network and exposure to senior leadership.
Campaign development, implementation and evaluation (60%)
Plan and implement online and offline campaign activity in line with overall objectives and 2020-2021 communications strategy. This involves
- Translating a strategy into a tactical plan and delivering the planned activities. The results of the activity must be reviewed and captured through timely and accurate evaluation reports.
- Planning and organising events linked to campaign activity, VIP visits, workshops and panel discussions, other public facing events and activities such as the Embassy Open Day etc.
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with key media organisations and external stakeholders. Identify opportunities to effectively deliver our key messages to our target audience.
- Taking responsibility for the creation and organisation of campaign related collateral under the FCO brand and communications guidelines, including printed materials, press releases, digital content and other required materials.
Internal Communications (40%)
Support the Internal Communications Manager to develop high quality, informative and engaging internal communications within the China Network, and also communicating the work of the China Network to colleagues in London. These activities would include (but not limited to):
- Managing day-to-day, messaging, as well as coordinating and producing regular newletters
- Working with other sections (Senior Leadership, Community Liaison, Corporate Services and Security etc.) to develop effective internal communication around key issues and campaigns, such as the annual Staff Survey, as well as the Network’s Staff Values Awards, and most recently our Friday Faces campaign
- Project / event management experience
- Experience of working with external stakeholders and management of media relationships
- Experience of working in marketing / PR / communications department / organisation
- More than two years working experience from a PR / communications agency
- Governmental or international organisation / company working experience
- Experience of working with design software such as Photoshop, InDesign etc.
External Non-Chinese National Candidates: Due to local Government measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, including strict entry restrictions, applicants who are non-Chinese nationals are likely to face significant obstacles when seeking residence permits, or travel into China. Please familiarise yourself with the latest restrictions and processes before applying. The British Embassy and Consulates General cannot cover the cost of transport, quarantine or accommodation for applicants who require work permits.
This is a fixed-term role for 2 years.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross salary (before all deductions) is CNY 11,272/month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 15,789/month for British Nationals and spouses/partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata.
Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs.
For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Indicated start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
To those applicants not shortlisted, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.