View Vacancy - Political intern (Rio de Janeiro/Brazil/Political)
Main purpose of job:
To provide administrative and research support to the Political Team at the British Consulate-General in Rio de Janeiro, with a particular focus on Brazilian politics and and engagements at state and local levels. .
This is a challenging position within the Political Team at the British Consulate. The successful candidate will have the chance to work face-to-face with diplomats and official visitors, and be involved in the diplomatic life of the UK Mission in Brazil. He/she will make a real difference to the Political Team at an important moment in the development of UK-Brazil relations.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
• To provide administrative support to Political team at the British Consulate-General in Rio de Janeiro.
• Provide research and administrative support to the Political team in the British Consulate-
General in Rio de Janeiro, and more broadly to the Brazil Network, focused on Brazilian politics. Occasionally attend events or conferences (within working hours) and write reports on them for colleagues.
• Provide support for projects and events. Responsibilities include arranging meetings, booking venues, setting up events (branding, catering, etc.), coordinating mailing lists, sending and following up on invitations, etc.
• Provide support on policy monitoring. Responsibilities include writing briefs on local government/stakeholders, monitoring local political news.
• Support the engagement with working-level contacts, diplomats and senior stakeholders.
• Support the Political Team’s administrative work. Responsibilities include updating documents, translating texts, coordinating mailing lists, organizing files and taking notes in meetings.
Essential on arrival:
• Be an undergraduate student of Political Science, International Relations, Communications, Management, Law or other related disciplines.
• Have good IT skills.
• Be proactive, with strong organisational, communication, customer service, and team-working skills.
• Have very strong command of written and spoken English and Portuguese.
• Interested in the bilateral relations between Brazil and the United Kingdom, as well as in domestic politics, including the federal government and local government of Rio de Janeiro.
Candidate must have the legal right to work in Brazil.
Level of language required: Professional proficiency
• Previous experience with research and written reports would be an advantage.
• A good understanding of Brazilian politics and the Brazilian legislative system would be a strong advantage.
The British Consulate-General in Rio de Janeiro believes in a strong learning and development culture, and works to give staff the opportunity to build expertise and achieve personal goals engaging on the day-to-day job and learning from colleagues and from formal training courses. The selected candidate will undertake some mandatory training and will have an opportunity to enrol in a set of learning activities during the internship, and engage in the Brazil interns’ network.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.