View Vacancy - Trade Advisor for the Department for International Trade British Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the Trade and Investment Promotion and Negotiation organisation for the UK. It promotes British trade and investment across the world, and supports UK businesses overseas and attract foreign investment to our shores. DIT has 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries.
DIT divides the world into 9 regions, each led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner. The Latin American and the Caribbean Region (LATAC) is led from Sao Paulo by Jonathan Knot. The Network is represented in 20 Posts with a team of over 140.
Within this context, the job’s main purpose is to support and promote British businesses in Bolivia, seeking to find and facilitate opportunities for higher British exports to the country, ease restrictions to trade in coordination with Bolivian authorities and guide British investment in Bolivia as well as promote Bolivian investment in the UK.
Roles and responsibilities :
The position will:
- Support the team with carrying out research on scoping current commercial activities, where the opportunities lie in order to develop a pipeline of commercial opportunities that will help highlight the key sectors and scale of the opportunities to DIT seniors.
- Assist in ensuring that the opportunities align to the four pillars of the LATAC Regional Trade Plan, our regional strategy for the region. The plan covers Opening Markets (market access and trade deals); Trade Support; FDI; and Promotion.
- Provide first-level support to the team in engaging with government authorities to ensure successful commercial outcomes for British business across a number of key sectors including healthcare, lithium, financial services and agri-tech (including market access).
- Provide research and logistical support to a number of key projects: opportunities in Santa Cruz, La Paz and other key markets in Bolivia, establishment of the British Chamber; and assist the team with carrying out baseline research to inform the trade and investment treaty.
- Provide first-level support to ensure alignment with current HMG initiatives, such as the FCO commercial team; Official Development Assistance (ODA) programmes; and explore Multi-lateral Aid Initiatives (World Bank etc.); to ensure DIT are maximising secondary benefits for UK firms.
- Assist in developing and maintaining strong working relationship with DIT HQ and other HMG colleagues, leveraging appropriate expertise and support to help companies, and deliver where needed.
- Work as a flexible member of the Embassy to support wider Embassy work as needed, including but not limited to, assisting with providing first-level support for Crisis Work and other 1HMG work and activities.
- Be an active member of the regional DIT LATAC team: taking part in various regional events, webinars and all staff meetings
Essential on arrival:
- At least 2 years’ work experience in a commercially focused role.
- Undergraduate degree and/or other relevant professional qualification..
- Proven ability to secure commercial outcomes and/or wins.
- Experience of working in or with government departments, NGOs, and similar institutions
- Proven track record of cross-team collaboration
- A positive, resilient, flexible and adaptable “can-do” attitude that can see way through challenges.
- Trade and Investment Experience, e.g. assisting with organising trade missions and lobbying official authorities
Must have the legal status to live and work in Bolivia.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Language: English and Spanish
Level of language required: Fluent
Later in the role, you will be expected to travel to other cities in the region.
This opportunity is closed to applications.