View Vacancy - Head of Digital Media - British Consulate General New York
Main purpose of job
The successful candidate will create, develop and lead the Consulate-General’s digital media presence and activity for the BCG in New York, working to promote the work of the UK government across our region; New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut's Fairfield County. They will devise a digital communication strategy, and create dynamic digital content and branded collateral for BCG-NY’s projects, events, activities, and services. They will also work with the Embassy in Washington and other Consulates to support our press and public diplomacy efforts across the US.
Located in the US’s most important media market, the British Consulate-General in New York (BCG-NY) is a busy and vital post in the UK Government’s global network. The Head of Digital Media for BCG-NY is a key member of the Communications Team within the Political, Press and Public Affairs (PPPA) section.
The job holder will be based at the British Consulate General in Midtown Manhattan (working remotely during Covid) and will report to the Consulate’s Head of Communications and through them to the Consul General who also serves as Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for North America.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Promote UK interests to a US audience in the BCG-NY region by creating and implementing digital communications plans for UK government priorities and activities, including ministerial and other high-level visits, human rights initiatives, cultural events, diplomatic and trade programmes. A few key priorities over the coming months include, but are not limited to, free trade agreement negotiations, climate and COP26, green finance, media freedom and gender equality.
- Manage and create content for our digital channels, including social media and GOV.UK website, working with policy teams and others across the network.
- Proactively create, design and execute digital content and strategies for the channels, supporting UK priorities in a way that is relevant to audiences we are seeking to engage and influence.
- Work with Embassy in DC, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and other Government Departments in the UK on global initiatives and campaigns, particularly on promoting the UK as a great place to visit, study, invest and do business.
- Print and digital design work for projects like event invitations, signage, infographics, digital collateral for channels, etc. in accordance with HMG’s global brand guidelines.
- Act as in-house photographer, including editing, distribution, and archiving.
- Act as in-house videographer, including idea generation, direction, shooting, and editing.
- Occasional work with external social media and public relations agencies to design and implement paid social campaigns.
Logistics and support
- Lead on digital activities around high-profile ministerial and VIP visits and events, also supporting where necessary.
- Assist the wider PPA team with media outreach and tracking, event ideation and execution, ministerial visits, etc.
- Assistance to the Consulate’s senior communications lead with press support or wider communications activity, as needed.
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant experience in digital media and communications.
- Demonstrated social media platform management fluency, including community building, analytics, campaign strategy and management.
- Strong technology proficiency in Mac/PC operating systems and fluency within Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat), Final Cut Pro, familiarity working with content management systems & editing HTML.
- Copy-writing skills (web articles, press releases, social media copy, etc.), with exceptional spelling, grammar and punctuation in alignment with style guidelines. Digital media marketing experience (paid and organic).
- Experience working within a large organisation’s brand guidelines and guardianship.
- Ability to work with external partners and manage vendors and contractors.
- Experience photographing high profile events (both shooting and editing). A/V knowledge and experience a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work well as part of a small team.
- A self-starter with strong organisational and problem solving skills.
- A track record of designing or delivering proactive publicity activities to advance policy or other objectives.
- Awareness of the UK Government’s work in the US, and the international priorities of the UK Government.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible, and able to switch tasks and manage multiple projects as priorities dictate.
- Ability and interest in attending and staffing occasional evening or weekend events and receptions.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy: www.gov.uk/government/world/usa.
All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance.
Staff recruited locally are subject to terms and conditions of service in accordance with US, state, and/or local employment law.
Due to COVID-19 we are unable to confirm any start date of employment but will continue to monitor progress and developments, and advise applicants of any significant changes throughout the recruitment campaign.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.