View Vacancy - Head of Science and Innovation
Main purpose of job:
The Head of Science and Innovation (S&I), based at the British Consulate-General, San Francisco, is part of a network of S&I officers throughout the US co-ordinated by the British Embassy in Washington, DC. The main purpose of this job is to represent UK science and innovation interests in the San Francisco Consulate-General district (Northern California and Pacific Northwest). The ideal candidate will have a strong background in and understanding of research and development in this region of the US. This position will also liaise closely with colleagues from the Department for International Trade (DIT), and Press & Public Affairs (PPA) teams within the Consulate General.
The objectives of the S&I network are to:
- Influence the science and innovation policies of US government bodies, industry and academia to benefit the UK
- Inform UK government policy related to science and innovation, based on international experience and emerging opportunities and challenges in the US
- Stimulate strategic science collaborations to benefit the UK and deliver wider policy goals
- Harness international technology partnerships and investment to the benefit of UK and global prosperity.
The jobholder will:
- Develop a wide range of high-level contacts within industry, academia, and research bodies.
- Identify emerging technologies in the US that align with UK priorities, and bring about technology partnerships, research collaborations, and opportunities for British companies.
- Provide information on S&I policy and best practice for UK stakeholders and report on S&I policy development in the Consulate-General's area.
- Support high-level visits relating to science and innovation.
- Work in collaboration with Press & Public Affairs teams to promote UK science and innovation.
- Provide management and guidance for the S&I Officer.
- Supporting broader Consulate and UK initiatives in support of UK prosperity.
• Have a strong background in and understanding of research and development in California and surrounding states;
• Demonstrate a deep enthusiasm for science, science policy and the internationalisation of science;
• Be highly motivated, organised, resourceful and able to work in a fast paced environment;
• Be confident developing a wide range of high-level contacts within industry, academia, and research bodies;
• Be adept spotting emerging technologies and innovations that align with UK priorities and bring about technology partnerships and research collaborations;
• Have the ability to build coalitions to deliver projects in support of S&I objectives;
• Have strong, proven communication skills, including written and oral/presentation skills, with the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders;
• Be a committed team player.
All candidates must have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in the US, and will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
The target salary is $84K annualised. The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted in one PDF file format. Internal candidates should address their resumes through their Head of Group before applying. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
The British Consulate-General, San Francisco is an equal opportunity employer,
dedicated to a diverse workforce.
This opportunity is closed to applications.