View Vacancy - SH- DIT Senior Trade and Investment Officer, Food and Drink, East China B3 (L)
Main purpose of job
UK Department of International Trade is the government department responsible for trade policy, helping UK based businesses succeed globally and helping international businesses invest in the UK. Within China, DIT is one of the busiest parts of the British Embassy’s operations and is focused on strategic high value trade and investment opportunities. China is one of the highest priority countries for trade in agriculture, food and drink, and has substantial engagement from both the British Government and industry.
This is an exciting opportunity for a capable, self-starter who can work with energy and ambition and in return will gain a real insight into the breadth of operations of an Embassy/Consulate. They will be at the forefront of the British Government’s growth agenda, to be part of a small team delivering DIT’s sector vision for agriculture, food and drink, working with internal and external partners such as the Food and Drink Exporters Association (FDEA) and the China Britain Business Council (CBBC) and the (AHDB) Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board.
Reporting to the Head of Agriculture, Food and Drink Trade, the jobholder will develop and cultivate relationships with industry and provincial Government in both Shnaghai & Eastern China as well as develop closer links our other China posts.
They will identify the top priorities in the region and plan how those opportunities could be taken forward, building close working relationships with some of the major Chinese food companies and in particular the largest ecommerce platforms. They will support UK companies who are aiming to take forward export opportunities in Jiangsu, Anhui, Zhejiang and the rest of East China and in doing so contribute to key performance targets for the food and drink team as a whole. They will also endeavour to understand more about market access and regulations environment, challenges and updates to support the team in both better understanding areas to address and communicate.
In addition you will lead on ministerial and senior civil servant visits in East China and support other senior visits within the rest of the country.
The jobholder will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in an exciting period of trade work and events and will travel to the regions within East China and national in line with the chosen sector expertise. They will work closely with the food and drink and marketing teams to contribute to a range of campaigns and activities to promote the British brands, raise the profile of DIT’s work and to shape and organise trade related events. Key events will include FHC (Food Hotel China), SIAL, CIIE and other Exhibitions. Ideally the successful candidate will have past work experience in the agriculture, food and drink sector and can apply that knowledge in this new role.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support the head of team with a clear strategy for the team’s work in East China and beyond. Map leading importing Chinese companies in this sector, develop key relationships and understand opportunities and relevant barriers as well as trends with the rest of the food and drink team: 30%
- Manage a portfolio of business opportunities in Eastern China to achieve challenging commercial outcomes. Build close contacts and relationships with key Chinese companies to cultivate their interest in the UK. Support UK clients to take up these opportunities, and maintain accurate tracking records: 40%
- Plan, manage and follow up on high level visits and events that contribute to sector targets and address business environment and market access issues: 20%
- Develop and manage a relationship with the industry organisations including CBBC, industry associations regional partnersto ensure a two way flow of information and opportunities, ensuring that the Food and Drink Team have update to date industry information, understanding of trends and requirements and aligned on both supporting companies and promoting opportunities: 10%
- Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience/ qualification;
- Good commercial awareness and be able to identify commercial opportunities;
- Ability to work well in a team as well as cultivating external relationships;
- Good communication skills and an ability to engage with contacts from different environments and backgrounds;
- The ability to be creative, flexible and resourceful in developing ideas and solving problems;
- Knowledge of internet research, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint is necessary.
- Experience of e-commerce, social media marketing, or event management would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of CRM would be an advantage.
The job will require occasional overnight travel. We will consider all working patterns on a case by case basis.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this position is RMB 17,870/ month for Mainland China Nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 24,746/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain a local work permit
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local employment law.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. Only short-listed applications will be called for personal interviews.
The Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.