View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to the Director for International Trade (DEU18.005)
The British Embassy in Berlin is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Personal Assistant to the Director for International Trade to join the Department for International Trade (DIT) Team.
Main Purpose of Job:
To provide administrative support to the UK Director for International Trade, Germany, including in his capacity as Regional Director for Western Europe. The job holder will be responsible for the organisation of the Director’s programme and briefing, and for visits to the Berlin area by VIP and senior visitors. He/she will manage the Director’s budget and lead on special projects for the Department for International Trade team in Germany.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To set up and coordinate all internal and external meetings and appointments for the Director, and to organise visit programme and transport arrangements for the Director and senior visitors from the UK and the Germany network. To coordinate the preparation of briefing papers and presentations for the Director with other team members;
- To handle English and German written correspondence and telephone enquiries and provide administrative support on behalf of the Director, including arranging team meetings and video conferences. To maintain the Director’s diary and contacts database;
- To develop effective relationships with teams across the Embassy and the International Trade network across Western Europe and in the UK as well as with the offices of key business and other contacts;
- To manage the Director’s travel budget;
- To support the Director and trade and investment teams on special projects, some of which will be led by the job holder. This may include organising business events, receptions and other activities and representing the Department for International Trade at events or with meetings with UK or German companies;
- To carry out other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job. This may include making a corporate contribution to the wider Germany network.
- Fluent English and German (both written and spoken, minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*) and good communication skills
- Previous experience in a Personal Assistant role or in a similar role
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Budget management experience
- Interest and knowledge of international trade and investment
- Familiarity with social media
This is a full-time position of five working days 37.5 hours per week, for a contract period of two years.
The British Embassy in Berlin has a strong ethos of Learning and Development, including our Learning and Development Week. In addition, there will be many opportunities to attend external seminars and events on relevant issues. This is in addition to the induction programme offered to all Embassy staff.
The successful applicant will be encouraged to be actively involved in the corporate life of the Embassy, contributing to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Germany network and supporting the Embassy’s positive working environment.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Germany. The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Germany in order to apply. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Germany are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local German employment law.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.