View Vacancy - Intern – Mining Sector, Department for International Trade (DIT)
Main purpose of job:
Intern for the Mining Sector at the Department for International Trade in Belo Horizonte.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK government department that helps foster UK Exports and promote Foreign Direct Investment in the UK. DIT officers at overseas posts support UK companies and Institutions to internationalise in order to generate revenue to the British economy.
This position will be based at the British Consulate in Belo Horizonte and will be responsible to provide administrative and commercial support to DIT Brazil, dedicated to the Mining sector. The selected candidate will support the DIT Mining team on delivering commercial targets to support UK suppliers and investors to do business in the Mining industry in Brazil, though the pillars:
- Trade Support: work with UK investors and suppliers to develop opportunities and support business in Brazil.
- Trade Promotion: showcase UK technology, innovation and sustainable solutions for the mining sector at traditional trade shows and new promotional forums, both virtual and face to face.
- Market Access: support the team to identify the key market barriers facing UK companies doing business in the Brazilian mining sector.
You will have opportunity to support the organisation and participate in commercial meetings, missions, internal and external events in order to develop your professional skills and experience to enhance your future career prospects.
This internship will give the successful candidate a broad and rich experience engaging with Mining companies with operations in Brazil, UK mining investors, UK companies within the mining supply chain and UK academia.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Providing support to the organisation of meetings with Brazilian and UK companies, both virtually and in person;
- Keeping and updating records of interactions with relevant stakeholders, under the guidance of the line manager;
- Providing support to the organisation of events such as trade missions, webinars, seminars and official visits including agenda and logistic arrangements;
- Attending trade fairs and official events when necessary;
- Assisting in the preparation of market research reports, briefings and visiting programmes;
- Scoping business opportunities through research, commercial meetings and cold calls;
- Monitoring the news and analysing trade data and sector information related to the Mining Industry;
- Supporting the production of content for events and communication materials about the UK offer in Mining;
- Providing administrative support to the Mining team in Brazil.
- Supporting Mining Team's engagement with external and internal stakeholders.
The position will suit an energetic, motivated self-starter with an interest in the sector. The ideal candidate must have the ability to work under pressure both independently and as part of a cohesive team. We also expect strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
Language: Portuguese and English
Level of language required: Intermediate English with good writing and speaking capabilities; fluent Portuguese, with excellent writing and speaking capabilities.
Essential on arrival:
- Undergraduate student in International Relations, Engineering, Geology, Business, Public Policy, Social Sciences, or related areas;
- Pro-active self-starter, organised, responsible, communicative and creative, team player, willing to learn and grow as a professional in a dynamic and friendly environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and TEAMS;
- Fluent in Portuguese and Intermediate English (written and spoken)
Eligibility to work and live in Brazil is required.
- Experience of previous internship or professional
- Basic to medium technical knowledge of the Mining industry
- Knowledge in videoconference platforms, as Zoom.
The intern will have the opportunity to participate in internal learn & development sessions.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
The intern will be able to work from home and at the office depending on the necessity to participate of in person meetings and events.
The working hours will be flexible to make sure that the intern is able to work and have a good performance at the university.
This position is to be located in the Belo Horizonte, Brazil, post.
This role is advertised for six months and may be renewed for up to two years.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently working in a hybrid system. The necessary means for the intern to work from home will be provided by the Post.
The British Consulate in Belo Horizonte aims to offer an attractive working environment. We will also work with the successful candidate in looking for ways to combine their academic interests with the work undertake for the network.
This opportunity is closed to applications.