View Vacancy - ROK - Senior Protocol and Research Officer, B3(L) (Internal Vacancy)
Main purpose of job:
Working within the Defence Section of the Embassy to further enhance the UK Military footprint within Korea and NE Asia.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Provide support to the Defence Attaché and Defence Section by:
- Being the Principle Korean Translator/Interpreter. In support of UK/ROK Defence Bilateral meetings/events you will act as the sections senior translator.
- Managing ROK Ministry of National Defence relationship. Daily interaction with the ministry to ensure the Defence Section’s requirements/objectives are met.
- Managing Joint Chiefs of Staff relationship. Daily interaction with the JCS to ensure the Defence Section’s requirements/objectives are met.
- Managing ROK Single Service relationships. Daily interaction with the Single Services to ensure the Defence Section’s requirements/objectives are met.
- Assisting Defence Section Programme Officer with Korean facing organisations. Provide local knowledge and protocol advice to enable successful programme development.
- Being the Line manager for A2 Protocol Officer/PA to DA/DDA.
- Being the Line manager for Defence Section Driver
- Being the Senior Korean Language researcher. Research Korean Language journals/articles in support of Defence Section objectives.
- Senior Advisor to the Defence Attaché on local customs and traditions. Advise the DA and Deputy DA on protocol requirements in support of Defence Section events.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- A2 Protocol Officer/PA to DA/DDA
- Defence Section Driver
- Self-starter and innovative with the ability to initiate work and see it through to completion.
- Able to seek advice and assistance when necessary.
- A team player able to work in a busy open plan environment supporting the whole Defence Section.
- Will also require a cooperative and collegiate approach to working with colleagues in other teams and be willing to contribute to wider Embassy corporate objectives.
- Able to communicate with a range of contacts from a diverse range of sectors and ministries (written, verbally and prepare presentations.)
- Must be able to deliver at pace, working to tight deadlines amid ever changing priorities.
- Previous experience of working within military environments and an existing network in the Korean military.
- General Knowledge of the Republic of Korea Military and the NE Asian Geopolitical environment in order to have a strategic awareness of the role of the Defence Section and the relevance of the deliverables and objectives.
- A working knowledge of the UK.
Although the standard working week will be 09:00 – 17:15 Monday to Thursday and 09:00-17:00 Friday the dynamic nature of Defence Section business will require the post holder to flex their schedule to match section output requirements. This includes the requirement to occasionally work extended days and weekends. Additional work will be made up with TOIL at a later date.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed): The British Embassy takes L&D seriously and provides a range of L&D opportunities, from learning sets to speaker events, group learning to shadowing opportunities. Where job-specific training is identified the Defence Section and British Embassy will provide access to appropriate courses.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. The applicant must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Korea in order to apply. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Seoul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Korean employment law.
All applications must be received before 29 May 2018 at 23:55 Korea Standard Time.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
This opportunity is closed to applications.