View Vacancy - Caribbean Region Commonwealth Marine Economies Project Officer
Main purpose of job:
To lead on the day to day management and promotion of the Caribbean regional Commonwealth Marine Economies (CME) programme – currently active in 8 countries in the Caribbean - working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders including British High Commissions, the CME programme team in London, UK government departments, high profile delivery partners in the UK and the Caribbean, private sector actors, and other regional CME LE programme staff.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This is a great job for a highly motivated self-starter with strong programme/project management, financial management and stakeholder management skills. We are looking for someone with a ‘can do’ approach to lead the day to day operations of the Caribbean element of the CME programme. You’ll enjoy a reasonable level of autonomy in making your own decisions, and there will be lots of networking opportunities. You’ll need good forward planning skills and the role will suit someone who can deliver high quality work.
Although based in Georgetown this is a regional role and the Job Holder will be expected to oversee the implementation of the diverse and high profile CME programme across the Caribbean.
In particular this will entail:
- working with the London-based teams, development and implementation of up to 9 maritime economy plans for recipient countries, including liaison with key influencers in host governments as required;
- quality controlling and challenging the work undertaken in the region by high profile project implementers and ensuring all reports (financial and narrative) are produced in time and to the standard required;
- developing and leading on communications activities (in consultation with local public diplomacy leads and press offices in London) in 8 individual countries and in the region to promote and raise the profile of the CME programme, involving building relationships, coordinating activities and sharing information across a wide range of diverse stakeholders;
- liaising with HMG departments (eg UKTI) to identify and follow up on business opportunities arising from CME Caribbean programme activities;
- ensuring complementarity with other in-country and regional activities and funders;
- being the first point of contact for CME project implementers on Caribbean regional activity in-country;
- oversight of expenditure, and monitoring of programme activities, to ensure that all spend and associated activities take place as forecast and to the agreed standards and objectives;
- advice and guidance to the High Commission staff in the region on all aspects of CME activity;
- providing regional programme/project support and advice to the CME programme team in London;
- contributing to quarterly reporting and evaluation/audit exercises as necessary.
Essential on arrival: Project/programme and financial management, communications (or experience in public relations)
BHC Georgetown has an active L&D Committee which scrutinises and oversees bids for training from members of staff. We are committed to ensuring all staff have relevant and developmental training opportunities.
* TWO YEAR CONTRACT*
As a regional position the Job Holder should expect to have to undertake a certain amount of regional travel. But this will be planned in advance and is unlikely to be at the last minute or unexpected.
This opportunity is closed to applications.