View Vacancy - Digital Communications Officer B3 (L) (36/19 ADD) - Africa Uplift
Main purpose of job:
To gather, create, edit and publish digital content for the British Embassy’s social media channels. To develop new and creative ways to engage with our audiences promoting UK objectives and values in Ethiopia. To be responsible for monitoring social media, reviewing statistics on our engagement and suggesting how we can develop new and different channels for reaching our audiences.
Roles and responsibilities:
The UK’s Embassy in Addis Ababa is one of our largest in Africa and engages with the Ethiopian Government and people on a wide range of issues from economic development to global peacekeeping and cultural exchange to climate change.
We use digital communications to engage with target audiences on global and local issues including international politics, climate change, media freedom, global trade, and providing support for British nationals abroad. In all cases the role of the Digital Communications Officer is key to identifying and reaching those audiences through a data-driven understanding of the digital landscape and the ability to deliver high-quality, engaging and relevant digital content.
This is a fast-paced job, with no two days the same, in a team environment that encourages creativity and innovation and will give you a chance to really exercise your video, graphic design and copywriting skills. The successful candidate will need to:
- Work closely with team leader and Embassy colleagues to understand the top objectives and audiences across teams, then develop and implement digital communication campaigns, working with partner organisations where appropriate.
- Produce, publish and amplify high quality digital content in support of these campaigns, ensuring all content published to our channels is engaging and impactful, of the highest quality, and adheres to UK Government social media guidelines.
- Input into and manage channel strategies for all local social media channels. Stay up to date with local digital media trends and explore whether new platforms could work for embassy engagement.
- Monitor Ethiopian social media to identify emerging trends and issues that the UK should seek to respond to through our communications or policy approaches.
- Work with embassy colleagues and a range of government departments in London to ensure all digital channels are used effectively to react and respond to live global and local events, including crisis situations, and to promote global initiatives and campaigns in country.
- Develop a database of audio-visual content that can be deployed in social media communications across a range of issues.
- Use data-driven analysis and evaluation to demonstrate the impact of digital campaign and communications work and apply that learning to future activities
- Be responsible for all reputational aspects of our online persona ensuring all output adheres to UK Government codes of conduct and our engagement with members of the public, particularly British Nationals in need of assistance, is exemplary at all times
- Work with colleagues across the network to embed social and digital media awareness and understanding within other teams, including best use of tools like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, video, photography and infographics.
At least 2 years’ working experience.
Basic level of familiarity with photography, videography and video/graphics editing.
Fluent English and Amharic (both spoken and written) are essential.
Digital communications experience.
Advanced skills in photography, videography and editing.
Experience working with international organisations.
- Other Ethiopian languages are a significant advantage.
The standard working hours of the British Embassy for office staff are 0800-1645 Monday-Thursday and 0800-1300 on Fridays. The job-holder will be required to travel regularly.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The successful candidate will get access to a range of learning and development opportunities, including on the job training and workshops. They will also be able to benefit from the wide range of training run by the British Embassy including on management and leadership, cross-cultural communication, and understanding the UK.
Any other information (or specific local Post requirements):Annual Leave and Public Holidays:
Locally engaged staff of all grades will be entitled to paid annual leave as follows:
Up to 2 years 22 days
After 2 years services 25 days
After 5 years services 30 days
In addition to annual leave, the British Embassy observes up to a maximum number of 14 Ethiopian, British and Religious public holidays each year. A list of such Embassy holidays will be published each year. Office Staff required to work on these holidays will be granted time off in lieu or overtime where circumstances permit.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
o Obtain the relevant permit
o Pay the fees for the permit
o Make arrangements to relocate
o Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
This opportunity is closed to applications.