View Vacancy - FJS - Executive Assistant to the British High Commissioner, A2(L)
Main purpose of job:
- Act as Executive Assistant to the British High Commissioner, providing a high level service to enable him/her to fulfil his/her role as effectively as possible
- Manage the High Commissioner’s diary
- Act as the interface between the High Commission’s Private Office and external contacts, including government officials in Fiji and the wider Pacific Network
- Chief of Staff, ensuring all staff meetings are scheduled effectively and are well attended, and responsibility for followed-up actions
- Other ad hoc activities including organisation of meetings, events – including evening reception, lunches and dinners as required
Roles and responsibilities:
- Dealing effectively with all Private Office correspondence (telephone, email and post); ensuring the correct protocol and procedures are followed; and records maintenance
- High Commissioner’s diary management and arrangement of external and internal official meetings
- Ensuring the High Commissioner has preparatory documents ahead of meetings and events
- Booking of the High Commissioner’s travel and accommodation
- Manage, monitor and keep a record of the High Commissioner’s travel expenditure, providing budget forecasts as required
- Maintaining the High Commission Contacts Database
- Supporting the Political Team with the preparations of invitation lists, especially for the Queen’s Birthday Party and other regular events
- Completion, record maintenance and despatch of Note Verbales
- Learning and Development Champion for staff at the British High Commission
- At least 5 years’ experience as an Executive Assistant or Personal Assistant to a senior manager
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communications skills with a good standard of English
- Initiative to solve problems, raise matters of concern and seek guidance where necessary
- A good problem solver, able to work independently using personal judgement
- Able to organise and prioritise a busy workload
- Assertive, courteous and able to handle strong personalities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management preferred
- Occasional out of hours work will be required
The ideal candidate should also be able to offer flexibility and be able to work overtime for specific events or functions as required.
Open to Fiji citizens, permanent residents, and partners/dependents of UK-based diplomatic staff currently posted in Fiji. Interstate applicants will be required to meet their own travel and relocation expenses. No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Staff recruited locally by the High Commission is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Fiji employment law.
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (Fiji Time) on 26 November 2019.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
This opportunity is closed to applications.