View Vacancy - CPK - Senior Trade and Investment Officer, Healthcare and Life Sciences (LSHSC), B3(L)
This is an important role within the Life Science, Health and Social Care Directorate at the Department of International Trade (DIT) China. Working with the Healthcare and Life Sciences (LSHC) team, you will be responsible for growing UK trade and investment in China. This exciting role is for a proactive, dynamic and enthusiastic individual, at the heart of advancing the directorate’s market access ambitions that form a key part of the Department for International Trade (DIT) Regional Trade Plan for the China and Hong Kong region, which are:
Objective 1 - Driving and inspiring UK exports to China, significantly increasing the UK market share of China's goods imports, and more than double the value of UK services exports.
Objective 2 – Strengthened trade policy engagement with China to achieve incremental market access, mitigate business risk and prepare for future trade deals
Objective 3 - Broadening and deepening the UK-China investment partnership, positioning the UK as the top European destination for Chinese investment and providing strong support for UK investors.
DIT has one of the largest representations of the 18 government departments working in China, which are coordinated and led by Her Majesty’s Ambassador who is responsible for the UK’s relationship with China. Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) is responsible for Trade and Investment work in China and the Hong Kong SAR, one of nine global regions and the largest DIT overseas network in the world. With c180 staff across six posts - Beijing, plus Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the UK government network in China led by the Ambassador offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK: China and Hong Kong SAR Government relations.
Your main role is to win business for the UK in China’s healthcare sector and help secure new and increased investment from China to the UK. This role is particularly suited to those with experience of China’s healthcare industry.
Key functions of the job:
- Identify opportunities in China market for UK healthcare and LifeSciences companies to secure export success.
- Research and develop a network of influential relationships with key Chinese healthcare companies that have the potential to set-up in the UK and achieve Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) success.
- Expand ties with government, industry bodies and business clients in China and the UK, (notably Healthcare UK), to develop a pipeline of trade opportunities and overseas investment interests in healthcare. Work with colleagues in China and the UK to match these with UK capability and strategic strengths.
Delivering strategic trade and investment opportunities: 50%
- Support the delivery of export success through existing opportunities and projects, and management of UK healthcare trade missions to China.
- Identify and land Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) projects from Chinese healthcare companies, setting up in the UK.
- Develop a personal understanding of the key Chinese companies and organisations in China in these sectors, including their capability, interests, and opportunities for collaboration.
- Work with sector colleagues around China and the UK to raise awareness of opportunities through relevant channels, and draw on their expertise and activities where they can help to support objectives.
Effective Relationship Management: 20%
- Build an effective network of relationships with senior leaders in key companies and organisations in China and the UK, including intermediaries, trade associations, and government departments, understanding their strategic intentions and business needs.
- Foster long-term, working level government-to-government contacts, and facilitate high level engagement with more complex/senior relationships as appropriate.
- Maintain a close working relationship with sector team members in other posts, other teams, and partners;
- Be flexible to the wider needs of the team between consulates and between policy, prosperity and trade to ensure that you are an effective team member supporting the wider team goals.
High impact visits and events: 15%
- Develop propositions for high-level visits from UK to China and from China to the UK that complement and support the delivery of the Healthcare sector strategy.
- Plan and manage the delivery and follow up of important visit programmes, engaging with key contacts in government and businesses, and other networks as appropriate. Provide timely, high-quality briefing and reports.
- Trade policy – develop a clear understanding of the barriers for UK companies operating in China and support strategies that improve market access for UK companies.
- Health policy – support UK – China collaboration on health policy
Knowledge & Skills Development: 5%
- Undertake continuous learning and development, including on-the-job opportunities to deepen knowledge and understanding of the healthcare sector, the UK capability landscape, and the regional business environment, learning from others across government and the wider teams, as well as formal training courses.
- Commercial experience, in government or private sector
- Excellent command in English and Chinese
- Bachelors degree or above is preferred
- 4-5 years relevant working experience, in either private or public sector roles, preferred
- Previous experience in the health sector will be advantageous
There is plenty of opportunity to develop on the job, and to establish expertise on trade policy. Specific areas and activities include:
- Courses and materials and offered by the trade / prosperity academy of the Diplomatic Academy
- Attending external events and conferences hosted by academic institutions, business chambers, etc.
- Taking part in learning sets with Embassy colleagues
- Embassy Leadership Programmes
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) is CNY 17, 870/month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 24, 746/month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 (China Standard Time) on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Advertised start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
You may check your online FCO application centre/email for any updates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.