View Vacancy - DIT Communication Manager – Mexico, Colombia and Peru
The UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT) is recruiting for the position Communications Manager to support the delivery of an impactful and exciting programme of communications activity throughout the year across the Latin America & the Caribbean region.
The Department for International Trade promotes and supports bilateral trade and investment across the Latin America & Caribbean (LATAC) region. Promoting LATAC as a trading destination for UK exporters and investors is a key strategic priority. You will play a key part in delivering the DIT LATAC Communications strategy for Mexico, Colombia and Peru, focussing on promoting the UK’s key industrial strengths, demonstrating its creativity and innovation, and positioning the UK as a key trading partner for the Latin America & the Caribbean region.
The position will report directly to the Head of Marketing and Communications for LATAC in DIT. It will be a full time position, based at the British Embassy in Mexico City, starting in November 2019, subject to receipt of a successful security clearance, pending of approval on a 3 months’ probation period.
Roles and responsibilities:
The DIT Communications Manager for Mexico, Colombia and Peru will develop, implement and deliver the UK’s Department for International Trade Communication work in support of activity in Mexico, Colombia and Peru:
- Lead, develop and implement communications activity to support Trade & Investment work in Mexico Colombia & Peru ensuring all sector activities have a high impact communications plan in their priority events, missions and other activities. Strategy should include general communications activities, content development, PR plans and digital communications.
- Work closely with Press team in Mexico, Colombia and Peru (FCO teams) ensuring the delivery of OneHMG communications strategy at each post. Equally, ensure that all communications outputs in each post are aligned with the promotion pillar of the Regional Trade Plan (DIT team).
PR & VIP visits:
- Manage the DIT PR strategy in Mexico, ensuring that all activities are communicated to our target audiences, properly covered, and maximising positive media coverage of DIT in the different markets.
- Support DIT PR activities happening in Colombia and Peru giving them guidance and ensuring all opportunities are properly grasped and are generating full impact in our desire audience.
- Manage and deploy effective communications plan for DIT Ministerial and VIP visits and support local teams (Mexico, Colombia and Peru)
Content & Digital:
- Develop and deliver content to support overall DIT regional strategy and campaigns outputs, based on audience insight. Engage with different methods of communication as appropriate including: mainstream media, social media, and internal communication.
- Distributing and producing content (articles, press releases, blogs, etc.) in order to inform the media about DIT activities and key messages. The job holder will also contribute with original content to permanent communications channels, like Op Eds and editorial articles.
- Develop speeches, coordinate media rounds and create lines to take for the British Ambassadors, Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner & deputy, and the DIT Country Directors, supporting them with public/media engagement on the trade and investment agenda across all three markets.
- Work with Heads of Trade & Investment & Regional Sector Leads to develop core scripts for your markets/sectors that demonstrate the UK’s innovation, creativity, and potential as a key partner for prosperity through trade & investment. Leading the digital strategy and content for DIT Mexico’s channels (Twitter and LinkedIn), ensuring it is kept accurate and up to date and informs British companies of the opportunities in Mexico available to them, and improving the contact communication with our audience and the quality and quantity of followers
To undertake other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
- Be a valued team member in the Marcomms Hub team by giving input and feedback on strategy, suggesting improvements and sharing best practice. Support other team members when needed such as leave or work overload.
- Work closely with the Mexico Press & Communications team to ensure Trade & Investment communications outputs are consistent, and high-quality.
- Develop high quality relationships with external stakeholders to support your work. Develop new & existing relationships with press & niche media. Lead DIT’s relationship with corporate sponsors to support trade & investment activity.
- As an overall requirement for the Embassy values and culture, the candidate will have to be make corporate contribution to the British Embassy in Mexico and champion DIT & FCO values
- One intern.
Language: fluent in both Spanish and English. Writer and Verbal.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Communications, Journalism or a similar area.)
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in communications specifically in PR, managing press, digital comms, creating comms plans and managing budget.
- Excellent planner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including fluency in English –copywriter experience desired.
- A confident self-starter, able to form effective relationships quickly both within and outside the team.
- Able to deal with a range of competing priorities in a calm, efficient and professional manner, with a keen eye for detail.
- A positive and flexible team player who is willing to contribute to the team’s overall objectives
- Confident in dealing with a range of contacts at all levels
- Organised and efficient in work and time management
- Proven capability to implement quantifiable measurements to comms plans.
- Understanding of the full range of MS Office suite including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team (you will be working closely with the network communications team, Marcomms hub in Mexico and various teams in London)
- Excellent level of Spanish and English, both written and spoken
- Willingness to travel within Mexico and internationally
- Previous experience in liaising with sponsors for the organisation of promotional events and activities.
- Experience in improving internal communications
- Experience managing budgets.
- InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop or similar.
- Photographic experience
- Copywriter Experience
Candidates must be able to live and work in Mexico within their own right. The successful candidate will be subject to a security clearance and professional reference check
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities. All staff at the British Embassy and its Consulates in Mexico are expected to work towards the UK mission statement of Building a UK/Mexico partnership, which makes the world and us more prosperous and secure, and to embody the Embassy’s agreed values of Honesty, Respect, Inclusion And Professionalism.
Learning and development opportunities:
- DIT Induction
- Access to different trainings relevant to field.
- Opportunities to travel internationally.
access to flexible work hours.
This opportunity is closed to applications.