View Vacancy - Estates Manager - Panama City, Panama - Corporate Services
Ensure that the Estate (Embassy, Residence and rented properties) are well managed and maintained in accordance with British Government guidelines. Provide services to Diplomats and Local staff, regarding property maintenance and facilities management. In charge of managing 15 rented Properties + 1 owned Residence + 1 (2-Floor) owned Embassy Office, in terms of property maintenance and contract management. In charge of negotiation with local contractors and suppliers, and suppliers and inspectors from the UK, ensuring Post complies with Health and Safety standards, Electrical, Gas, Asbestos and other standards. Line managed a team of 3 staff with diverse tasks. Open to flexibility in changes within the role.
This position reports to Head of Corporate Services.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Manage a team of 3 people: 1x Handyman (S3), 1x Corporate Services Officer (A2), 1x Estates Intern (A1). Ensuring team has a proper understanding regarding Estates Policies, Security and Health and Safety (H&S) Standards.
- To supervise all Estates queries and requests related to the Residence, Embassy, and other properties.
- Conduct Health and Safety inspections in new properties. Produce a report with considerations that Post Housing Committee will need to take into account when selecting a final property.
- Ensure all basis H&S remedial works are run in all new properties before the arrival of UK Based staff (UKBS). Once the UKBS arrives ensure to keep track of any other H&S remedial works needed with a certified local contractor that can carry out the works.
- Conduct periodic inspections to all UK tenant properties and BE office with UK contractors for Health and Safety considerations to further follow up.
- Ensure all minor and major projects works adhere to UK and Procurement guidelines.
- Liaise with key stakeholders and ensure all documentation, manuals, plans etc (soft/hard copies) are presented for Estates contract projects.
- Ensure monthly utilities report it analyzed and informed to our UKBS tenant to let them monitor their monthly consumption.
- In charge of the Estates maintenance budget of £166K, ensure proper forecast is done on quarterly basis on when Head of Corporate Services requires it. And proper flagging of issues that may rise due to pressures in the budget.
- Ensure that all Estates purchasing/contracts are carried out according to the Procurement guidelines. Liaising with Procurement Hub when necessary.
- Deliver value for money, efficiencies and compliance (with health & safety requirements, audit requirement, legal requirements, and service level agreements and to follow FCO policies, etc.)
- Control Estates inventory ensuring it’s equipped with Health and Safety basics to cover our properties.
- Arrange internal auctions for surplus merchandise in line with Disposal Policy.
- Be the point of contact and liaise with Humboldt Building Management in all Board of Meetings when needed.
- Maintain close and open communication with Residence Manager, in order to achieve Embassy Projects (Security and H&S) at the Residence, providing expertise on the works to be done, and knowledge as per Standards.
- Ensure all furniture inventories in all properties are in place, up-do-date and signed by the UKBS, likewise the Storage facilities.
- Any other task, as Corporate Services and UK deemed necessary.
- Open and flexible with possible changes within role.
- 3x Staff
- Budget £166k
Language: Spanish (native) + English (expert/advanced)
- +3 years’ experience in Estates/Property/Facilities Management
- +3 years’ experience on managing a Team of 2 staff or more
- +3 years’ experience in negotiating with contractors/suppliers
- +1 year managing a Budget (Budget reports)
- +1 year in Project Management (Project reports, i.e.: Gantt charts, etc.)
- Experience in getting quotes and challenging what is quoted by the supplier.
- Good understanding of Panamanian culture (re. properties, maintenance, etc.), hardware stores, contractor´s way of working, property leases, etc.
- Skills and Knowledge of Reporting to Senior Management
- Team player
- Eager to learn United Kingdom property and security standards.
- Resilient through busy periods
- Proactive and able to drive strategy and prioritise work
- Ability to work under pressure, and outside office hours if needed
- Sense of urgency
- Excellent Communication skills
- Customer Service approach
**Apply only if you meet the above “essential” qualifications.
- Industrial Engineer Degree
- Contacts of local suppliers and contractors
- Experience in Health and Safety standards
- Experience in property Security standards.
- Experience with Real Estates on apartment hunting.
- Knowledge of Local Laws regarding property management, and Property Leases.
Learning and development opportunities:
The British Embassy offers a range of tailored learning and development opportunities to all staff. Specific opportunities will be discussed with the selected candidate based on their individual needs assessment and personal development plan.
Monday through Thursday from 7:00 to 4:00 and Friday from 7:00 to 12:00
However, selected candidate must work outside office hours if needed, depending on the urgency of the Projects.
The Embassy operates a flexible approach to working hours and the selected candidate may be able to start and end their day at earlier/later times if operationally suitable and agreed with their line manager. This will not always be possible so the candidate must be available for the working pattern listed above.
Must be Panamanian, or have a valid and current Work Permit through Ministry of Labour, and be able to provide it when requested by Embassy.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.