View Vacancy - CBP - Pro Consul, AO
Main purpose of job:
As part of a small, dedicated team within the British Embassy, to provide assistance and support to British people in Cambodia, either visitors or residents, who experience problems, difficulties or crises. Consular work covers a broad range of issues, including the issuing of emergency travel documents to allow someone to return to the UK, providing advice and support to British nationals facing immigration removal, those who have been arrested, or where they may have been a victim of a crime.
Consular work is extremely rewarding; helping people when they most need it, and no two days are the same. But it can also be challenging and it requires personal resilience and a flexible, empathetic attitude.
The role involves ensuring that consular services in Cambodia are delivered in line with the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) Consular Strategy, consular guidance and our Consular Charter and Guide.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
- To manage a full range of casework for British people requiring consular assistance in Cambodia, ensuring that the persons’ needs are assessed according to guidelines, and cases are planned and delivered in line with FCDO policies and local procedures. This may sometimes require travel within Cambodia to provide assistance directly to the customer, where necessary and appropriate.
- To effectively manage and prioritise case load, and to maintain timely and accurate records using the FCDO’s consular case management system.
- To support British people who have been hospitalised through ill health or as a result of an accident, advising them of the options available to them (or their family); to monitor their welfare, including visits where appropriate; to advise them, their friends or family on local procedures, and liaise with medical staff, relevant local authorities and insurance providers.
- In the event of a death of a British person in Cambodia, to assist the family and/or next of kin by explaining local procedures, liaising with international undertakers and relevant local authorities; ensuring that any burial, cremation or repatriation is timely and dignified.
- To support British people who have been arrested or detained in Cambodia, by providing information about local procedures and legal service providers; to undertake regular visits to monitor their welfare and liaise with the authorities on any welfare or health concerns in line with the international standards.
- In addition, to provide assistance, advice and support to British people who are:
- victims of serious crimes, such as assaults or sexual violence;
- experiencing mental health or addiction issues;
- experiencing financial difficulties;
- involved in crisis or emergency situations (may sometimes require working out of normal hours); or
- requiring general consular information and advice, in person, by telephone, or via email.
The role will involve direct contact with British people in distress and an excellent level of English is required.
- English /Khmer
- Level of language required: Fluent, written and spoken (will be tested at interview)
Essential on Arrival:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer service focus;
- Experience of dealing with customers of various nationalities;
- Ability to follow detailed procedures and guidelines in making judgements and solving problems;
- An ability to deal sensitively and empathetically with difficult situations and people in distress;
- Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive, with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines;
- Ability to liaise with and manage relationships with external contacts;
- Familiar with using Microsoft Office, Outlook, Microsoft Teams, and WhatsApp;
- Flexibility to occasionally travel to other parts of Cambodia, sometimes outside of normal work hours.
- Experience of living in, or understanding of the United Kingdom, British people and British culture;
- An understanding and experience of consular work or similar;
- Comfortable using social media.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary and benefits, leave entitlement, and training opportunities.
We also offer 18 days of leave entitlement per annum in pro rata.
Learning & Development Opportunities
This is a developmental position with a range of on the job, on line and coaching training. The job holder will have the opportunity to complete UK Diplomatic Academy Foundation Level Diploma.
This is a small embassy team and the job holder will be fully exposed to a wide range of embassy activities.
Full time - Monday and Thursday 8:15-16:45 & Friday 8:15-13:15
There is scope to work from home 1-2 days a week.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Phnom Penh is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
Employment offers are subject to the successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
You must be eligible to work in Cambodia. No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
lf you are planning to relocate for this position, please ensure that you have thoroughly investigated living and working in Phnom Penh and all related costs before submitting your application.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline."
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen. We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
For inclusivity and diversity, please remove the following personal information when uploading your CV: name, address, email address, age, date of birth, gender, and nationality.
Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core behaviours listed above.
All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.