View Vacancy - SH - Head of Education Technology and Knowledge Transfer (C4L)
This is a senior leadership role in the Education team in the Department of International Trade (DIT) reporting directly to the Deputy Head of Section in Beijing. You will play a key role in advancing the trade and investment ambitions articulated in the Department for International Trade (DIT) Regional Trade Plan for the China and Hong Kong region, which are:
Objective 1 - Driving and inspiring UK exports to China, significantly increasing the UK market share of China's goods imports, and more than double the value of UK services exports.
Objective 2 – Consistent trade policy engagement with China to achieve incremental market access, mitigate business risk and prepare for future trade deals
Objective 3 - Broadening and deepening the UK-China investment partnership, positioning the UK as the top European destination for Chinese investment and providing strong support for UK investors.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) was established by the Prime Minister in July 2016 to integrate and elevate the Trade agenda; help secure a better deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU; and, establish new relationships with other countries around the globe. DIT promotes British trade across the world and ensures the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving the economic well-being and stability of the UK, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs every year.
Led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for China and Hong Kong we are one of nine global regions and part of an overseas network that operates in 108 countries. The largest DIT overseas network in the world, with 200 staff across six posts - the British Embassy in Beijing, plus Consulates in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the One HMG network in China and Hong Kong, offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK-China Government relations.
The DIT China Education team is responsible for helping British education technology suppliers, higher education institituions and other educational suppliers to win more businesses in China and to secure new and increased investment from China to the UK to meet a set of challenging targets. Education technology and knowledge transfer are strategic priority focuses for the team the others being, early years education, British & bilingual schools, higher education, technical and vocational education and training and English.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to take responsibility for leading, developing, and delivering an ambitious and challenging strategy and programme of activities designed to deliver Education Technology and Knowledge Transfer opportunities to UK businesses. We also expect the candidate to be actively exploring new opportunities in other sub-sectors for DIT Education in China. Meanwhile, the candicate will also have the role and responsibility to be the head of East China region for DIT Education and Skills team, which means he/she would also support or lead projects for other key sub-sectors that happen in East China region and support regional priority initiatives such as the Yangtze River Delta development plan.
The jobholder will need to work closely with the DIT Education HQ team, key internal and external partners and stakeholders, including the British Council (BC) and the China Britain Business Council (CBBC), UKRI, SIN, Outreach team, Chevening Team, other sector and supporting teams within HMG network, and DIT’s outsourced delivery partner in China for on-demand services for British companies
Roles and Responsbilities:
Designing and implementing the education technology and knowledge transfer strategy and trade and investment campaigns (60%)
- Design strategy and work plan for the education technology and knowledge transfer sub-sectors and achieve challenging commercial outcomes .
- Work closely with sector colleagues and others across the Embassy/ Consulates to draw on their knowledge and contacts to identify market opportunities and broker business discussions through engagement with British and Chinese business, institutions and authorities involved in or have an interest in the education sector.
- Build and maintain a pipeline of active projects in close collaboration with DIT Education HQ team and have a good understanding of key industry trends.
- Lead and project manage trade and investment campaigns and activities
- Provide ongoing aftercare support to existing UK exporters/ investors in China and existing investors in the UK looking at opportunities to grow their business.
Effective relationship management (20%)
- Play a leading role in identifying and building relationships with senior leaders in key companies, authorities, institutions and other organisations in China and the UK, including intermediaries and trade associations to understand their business intentions and needs.
- Proactively build and maintain key relationships with the Chinese governments, and other public organisations to support delivery of project opportunities and to address business environment and market access issues.
Effective management of your team to deliver (10%)
- Manage the team in delivering against the agreed education technology and knowledge transfer plans
- Ensure your team understand and champion capability of UK education sector organisations, as well as investment and collaboration opportunities.
High Impact VIP visits and events (10%)
- Play a leading role in planning, managing and following up on high level visits and events that contribute to sector targets and address business environment and market access issues.
- Act as a lead for the development of important visit programmes that contribute to your sector targets, working with the British Council, CBBC and other networks where appropriate.
Any other information (or specific local Post requirements):
- The jobholder will be required to travel regularly within and occasionally outside Mainland China. Some work (including travel) will be required during the evenings and occasionally weekends, for which time off in lieu or overtime (where applicable) will be given.
- Successful candidate required to start as soon as possible.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
There is plenty of opportunity to develop on the job, and to establish expertise on trade policy. Specific areas and activities include:
- Courses and materials and offered by the trade / prosperity academy of the Diplomatic Academy
- Attending external events and conferences hosted by academic institutions, business chambers, etc
- Taking part in learning sets with Embassy colleagues
- Embassy Leadership Programmes
- Education: Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience/ qualification.
- Excellent / Highly Proficient in Englih language
- Excellent / Highly Proficient in Mandarin language
- A well developed background of working within the education and training sector in the UK and/or China. In particular, commercial awareness and understanding, including demonstrable understanding of commercial education models and of working with commercial education providers to develop international business opportunities.
- Strong international business development/ sales and marketing background.
- Excellent networking skills. Experienced in relationship managing key clients, able to manage projects and staff remotely.
- An adaptable self-starter with enthusiasm and energy able to work alone as well as in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven organisational ability
- IT: Knowledge of internet research, Microsoft Office, Word Excel, CRM and PowerPoint is necessary;
- Experience and knowledge of setting up or advising or working with education technology companies or knowledge transfer organstions would be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of CRM would be an advantage but training will be provided.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this position is RMB 27, 396/ month for Mainland China Nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 35, 742/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 (China Standard Time) on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
The successful candidate should be able to start as soon as possible.
Please check the application centre regularly for any update on your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.