View Vacancy - Security Officer, UK Government Offices New York
Main purpose of job:
- staffing public Receptions, meeting/ greeting, scanning/ searching visitors, managing access control processes and systems, security patrols/ checks and supervision of visitors, handling mail/ post, briefing staff on security patrols/ checks, out of hours office facilities support and supervision of visitors.
The contract is on average 40 hours per week, with a rotating shift pattern across several weeks covering a 24/7 shift roster. Shifts are through the whole week including night and weekend rotations (including holidays) - weekend work (days and night) is required. Applicants must be able and willing to work days, nights, and weekends.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Receptionist/ Reception Guard.
- Work flexibly in the public reception.
- Receptionist duties, including meeting/ greeting visitors, taking switchboard calls from the public, liaising with colleagues about visitors and attendees at meetings and events, managing access control to the Offices, handling visitor passes etc.
- Reception Guard duties, including staffing a metal detector arch, searching visitors’ bags, providing a security presence in the public Reception and occasional security presence at events or major meetings including at Official Residences.
- Office Guard: Implement day-to-day security measures, including patrols, locking/ un-locking procedures, CCTV monitoring, Pass and access control and programming, escorting contractors, freight elevator access, security scanning of mail/ post, key-holders for the offices, completing security paperwork and logs.
- Building Facilities Support working alongside other Corporate Services staff: carry out shared wduties across the Guard force, to help with office facilities support around: Health & Safety measures, notices and paperwork; fire drills, extinguishers, notices and paperwork; first aid kits, equipment, notices and paperwork; security signage; key-holder and locks duties, helping manage the mailroom.
- Other ad hoc tasks as directed by Security and Corporate Service Managers.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English.
- Must be a British, US, Canadian, Australian or New Zealand citizen.
- Must be of exemplary character, and have the utmost integrity and professionalism. Full background checks and vetting procedure is carried out.
Essential Skills / Qualities:
- At least 4 years work experience in the security sector/ law enforcement/ military, ideally office-based.
- Excellent people engagement skills and first-rate customer service, including a proven track-record in dealing with members of the public.
- Ideally, experience of working a public Reception.
- A high degree of professionalism and strong ability to represent the UK government externally to visitors and other members of the public.
- Adaptable, flexible and energetic; ability to work well in a team and to work collaboratively to deliver shared tasks and help others.
- Proven experience of Microsoft Windows 10 suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel - as well as bespoke IT security, access control & CCTV systems.
- Current holder of New York Security Guard Licence an advantage
- Previous experience of working in the Diplomatic community, especially if in New York, is helpful.
- Previous experience of Office facilities work is useful but not essential.
- Local knowledge of New York useful.
The job offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
Three shifts are run with timings as follows:
Shifts are through the whole week so weekend work (days and night) is required.
Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 19 January 2020. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor if they intend on applying.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow
This opportunity is closed to applications.