View Vacancy - JPN - Global Sports Officer A2(L)
Main purpose of job:
To provide project management/office support to the Sport Events Committee as part of the secretariat. To provide flexible support to the Global Sports Team in the Embassy. To assist with events and visitors. To conduct information gathering and research tasks. To manage the Olympic and Paralympic Section budget.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
This is once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of the Global Sports Team in the British Embassy in Tokyo. The team has been specially formed to pull together the work of the Embassy relating to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. It also works closely with the UK sports teams, including Team GB and Paralympics GB.
The roles and responsibilities of the jobholder are as below.
- Global Sports project management/office support as part of the secretariat to the Sport Events Committee: Help organise bi-monthly Sport Events Committee, booking rooms, sharing agenda, taking minutes and collating latest information from teams to update for example, project dashboard and risk register. Help organise workshops.
- Administrative support for the Global Sports Team in the Embassy, managing filing system on Microsoft Teams and SharePoint site. Responsible for routine correspondence and information sharing such as producing monthly newsletter (shared with within the Embassy and with the UK sports teams). This will involve some editorial judgement to draft content. To conduct information gathering and research tasks on behalf of the wider team and to administer team information such as contact databases, standard briefing materials etc. To handle correspondence with stakeholder in Japan and the UK.
- Wider team support as needed during busy periods. This might include providing support to UK sports related visits such as arranging meetings and providing on-the-ground and logistical support to UK visitors; providing assistance for organising Embassy related events such as acting as a liaison to the team’s stakeholders and helping with logistics on the day. This might also include specific strands of work supporting the Embassy’s UK in JAPAN 2019-20 campaign, relating to events or sponsorship.
- Manage the Global Sports Team section budget, working with team leader to prepare annual budget plans and keeping forecasts up to date during the year.
- Fluent in English (TOIEC score 950 or higher)
- Business Level in Japanese (JLPT Level 2)
- Good interpersonal and organisation skills to conduct duties effectively.
- Fluent English with good command of Japanese (speaking, reading and writing). Experience of working in an English-speaking environment.
- IT skills including the Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Basic financial management skill.
- Flexible, dependable, enthusiastic and customer focused and enjoy taking on challenging responsibilities.
- Previous experience of managing a budget and supporting project management
- 1 month salary bonus equivalents payable in June and December
- (Note: Salary may be reduced due to tax status)
- Commuting allowance of up to JPY35,000 per month (paid on an actual cost basis)
- 24 days paid annual leave (calculated pro rata)
- Health Insurance and Employee pension (kenko hoken/kosei nenkin)
- Employment Insurance (koyou hoken)
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Alongside a number of Embassy-specific courses that will need to be completed on arrival, the Embassy is supportive of learning and development. We offer five development days per year, and regular opportunities for learning and development delivered both within the mission and regionally in Asia. We also focus on using coaching and a buddying system to support new arrivals.
The applicant must have work authorisation for Japan however if a foreign national, the British Embassy/Consulate General will support a visa application if required.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.