View Vacancy - Senior Trade and Investment Adviser – Energy, C4, Chennai
‘’Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Main purpose of job:
You will be one of the senior staff in the Energy team of Department of International Trade (DIT) with an objective of identifying and delivering export opportunities for UK business.
Within the Energy Sector, the team focuses on Oil & Gas (O&G) and Renewable Energy (RE). Whilst O&G is an established campaign with a sizeable pipeline of opportunities for UK businesses, the core focus of the RE campaign will be to build a validated pipeline of opportunities. Initial research indicates that off-shore wind, battery storage and smart grids will provide opportunities, although it is expected that the post-holder will develop and deepen our understanding. The role holder will also be the DIT lead on climate issues, working closely with the energy policy team on their energy transition work. The role will be based in Chennai and will report through to the Energy sector lead, who is based in Delhi.
You will bring with you, or demonstrate how you would quickly acquire, an in-depth knowledge of the sector. You will build a strategy based on this knowledge to turn the long-term potential and direction of travel of the sector into a pipeline of opportunities for UK business. To do so, you will identify and build relationships within the sector and build a pipeline of validated projects for UK business, particularly large or high-value deals which would require UK government support or involvement to win. You will then work with DIT’s Headquarters’ team in the UK and in other markets to bring UK companies to India and support them to win business. You will also have an understanding of climate change and the energy transition.
Your role will be high profile. You will be the voice of the UK government and industry in the sector, and wider; you will be expected to gain access to the most senior levels within Indian industry and government if necessary using the Deputy High Commissioners and other senior staff. You will be a self-starter who can demonstrate a long-term objective; plan and manage a delivery model; identify, grow and make effective use of stakeholders. You will work with colleagues within DIT in India and elsewhere, with other UK government colleagues, Indian government(s), business and other multipliers (trade associations, etc.).
Roles and Responsibilities:
The job holder will be expected to:
- Create, validate, plan and deliver a strategy for the Energy - Renewables sector across India.
- Identify, validate and deliver a pipeline of high value projects and opportunities; plan and deliver activities to connect UK business to these opportunities and provide bespoke support to UK companies to win business. In doing so, meet DIT’s internal targets (for pipeline, export wins, return on investment and customer satisfaction/quality).
- With the Energy team, build and manage senior level relationships with key Indian and UK business, stakeholders and partners within the sector, across one-HMG team and in the UK to support objectives and deliver value for UK business.
- Engage with DIT HQ in London on the energy transition and climate change in India.
- Raise the profile of the sector through activities & events planned and managed by DIT and others, including GREAT.
- Work closely with policy colleagues both in India and the UK to deliver secondary benefits from our energy prosperity programmes and contribute to X-HMG preparation work for COP26.
- Contributing to wider corporate UK government objectives, including input to Ministerial/VIP visits and deliverables in Post and across one-HMG in India.
There may be requirement for travel as part of the role. Relevant job-related training will be given as required.
Level of language required: Excellent
The job is a fantastic opportunity to make a real impact on the UK’s trade and investment links with India. We will give you the freedom and space to develop within your sector and build your networks, but we will support you too with opportunities to get the right learning and development, career development and opportunities to travel across India and to the UK. But you will need to be collaborative and flexible too to fit in with the network’s ethos; and, importantly, focussed on delivering results and contributing to the wider corporate efforts especially around our busy Ministerial/VIP visit programme.
To be successful:
- You will have or develop an understanding of the sector, a strong network on the ground, and use your good analytical skills to apply this to identifying significant market opportunities for UK business and then supporting them to turn these in to contracts.
- You will need to be strategically aware to identify emerging opportunities in your sector, and to what is happening in the UK in your sectors and to emerging investment opportunities.
- You will have strong interpersonal skills and be a credible team leader capable of setting the direction for yourself and those around you and of gaining their trust and respect - and doing so while working within a virtual team located across India.
- You will be confident in developing productive relationships with senior decision makers in UK and Indian businesses and with stakeholders and partners, and in using these to deliver your objectives.
- You will need to be collaborative and flexible and able to manage yourself and the demands on you.
- You will have good project management skills to create and deliver campaigns; and excellent English written and verbal communication skills. You will be expected to produce written work in Standard English to a high standard
Essential on arrival:
- An understanding of the energy sector
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, team working and people management skills.
- Experience of dealing with senior level decision makers
- Experience of working in the UK; knowledge of the business environment and of UK business related policies.
- Marketing and presentational skills.
- Experience of working in trade/export promotion.
- Experience of working in the Energy Sector in India/UK will be an added advantage
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 103,256 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation Fund.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs. 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Job Application Form.
b) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form and the competency questions.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, and check for the eligibility clause if on probation, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by “24th January ’20” midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
‘’Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission.‘’
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.