View Vacancy - Handyman/plumber (08/23 DKR) F
The British Embassy in Dakar is looking for a dynamic, experienced, and highly motivated individual to join our team as a handyman/plumber.
You will carry out general maintenance work in the Embassy and in Embassy properties, working to agreed maintenance programmes and responding to emergency requests as required. You should be capable of carrying out plumbing works, installation, repairs, tests and inspections on existing water systems.
We pride ourselves on being a good place to work, with good work/life balance, and are committed to a culture that values respect, diversity and inclusion and good collaboration and communication.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Complete maintenance tasks for all properties within agreed time frames and to agreed standards
- Ensure relevant contractors meet contract requirements in terms of work done and agreed time frames.
- Ensure effective supervision of contractors at Embassy properties
- Assist in completing and maintaining records of various routine inspections required under Health & Safety regulations
- Be customer focused, including by working with the Estates Officer/Manager to communicate updates and progress to customers
- Proactively identify and resolve problems on the estate or in residential buildings
- Carry out planned preventive maintenance and day to day maintenance on offices and residential buildings
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the line manager
- As a member of the Embassy, you will be expected to make a corporate contribution to the smooth running and wellbeing of the embassy, e.g. by volunteering as a member of a corporate committee.
- At least 3 years previous experience as a plumber
- Qualification in plumbing
- Experience of facility management role to include maintenance.
- Proactive and customer focused
- Hold a valid Senegalese driving license
- Basic computer literacy
- Good spoken English Language both verbal and written
Learning and development opportunities:
The successful applicant will have access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities both in-house and e-learning, with the potential for overseas training.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5, G7= D6
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Senegal with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The successful applicant will demonstrate that they meet the requirements under Senegal law to work in Senegal.
- The British Embassy in Dakar is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Dakar is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Senegalese employment law.
- Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6/12 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.