View Vacancy - Personal Assistant to Her Majesty's Consul General and Trade Commissioner for Istanbul (TUR19.250)
The British Consulate General in Istanbul is part of a worldwide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is looking for a Personal Assistant (PA) to Her Majesty's (HM) Consul General and Trade Commissioner to provide secretarial, administrative and organisational duties, personal assistance and support to the HM Consul General and Trade Commissioner in Istanbul.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Proactively managing a busy diary, often subject to last minute changes and across multiple time zones; and managing a heavy inbox, often in the absence of HM Consul General and Trade Commissioner (HMCG/TC), who travels frequently;
- Devising and maintaining office systems;
- Day to day office management; collating documents, briefing papers and presentations; screening calls and requests and handling them appropriately;
- Dealing with visa queries which have come directly to the HMCG/TC;
- Liaising with senior members of the team at Post, Regions and London; meeting and greeting visitors;
- Keeping abreast of key issues and prioritising any actions;
- Making cost effective decisions and recommendations when booking travel and accommodation;
- Managing HM Consul General and Trade Commissioner’s expenses and keeping a record of all receipts;
- Managing gift register which meets audit requirements; liaising with a wide range of senior stakeholders e.g. Prime Minister’s Trade Envoys’ offices;
- Supporting the Private Secretary on VIP visits across the EECAN region;
- Effectively line-managing the HMTC/GG’s driver and approving his expenses;
- Liaison with HMTC/CG’s Personal Protection Officer regarding schedules and arrangements;
- Liaison with UK Visas and Immigration on applications received from VIP contacts with UK interests, to ensure a smooth process;
- Liaison with Events Manager to ensure receptions/meetings/conferences in Pera House are well-planned and organised efficiently;
- Liaison with external organisations, guards and caterers in run-up to events and on the day.
- Fluency in English and Turkish (both oral and written);
- Ability to prioritise own workload and meet deadlines, without compromising the quality of the work;
- Ability to diary manage and set priorities;
- Excellent planning and organisation skills;
- Being adaptable and open to change;
- Being strong team-player;
- Ability to work closely with senior staff of the Consulate and their contacts;
- Ability to maintain and develop a range of contacts to build effective working relationships;
- Courtesy and consideration in dealing with telephone callers and others;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools particularly Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Office management;
- Preparing briefings and papers;
- Line management experience.
This is a full-time permanent contract, for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week.
The monthly salary for this position is 2,602.41 USD gross B3 level. Please note that staff members are responsible for paying any income tax required by local law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Turkey. The British Consulate General does not sponsor for work permits.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check, security clearance and a probation period of 2 months.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Turkish employment law.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. We are committed to developing a learning organisation that enhances business performance, maximises our staff’s potential and encourages staff innovation and development.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Consulate General will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.