View Vacancy - Senior Policy Officer, UK Mission to the United Nations
Main purpose of job
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work in the UK Mission to the UN. The successful candidate will work as a Senior Policy Adviser on the Strategic Threats team. They will represent the UK at the UN on a range of issues related to international security, including counter-proliferation. This includes representing the UK at meetings with contacts at the UN including Member States, the UN secretariat, agencies and other inter-governmental and non-governmental entities. Duties include attending meetings in the UN and conducting negotiations at the Security Council and the General Assembly.
The post holder will join a team working across a range of international security issues including counter-terrorism, counter-proliferation, UN sanctions regimes, the Middle East and Asia. They will contribute to policy advice alongside colleagues in the Mission, London and across the UK’s international network of posts and delegations.
The successful candidate will also support the wider work of the Political Section, including planning visits and other ad hoc duties and responsibilities. They will also be willing to take on new work and changed priorities enthusiastically and must be willing to support other team members on work outside their own role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This is a policy development and delivery role, heavily focussed on delivering UK policy at the UN and influencing UN Member States, the UN Secretariat, and NGOs. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, those outlined below:
- Negotiating Security Council and General Assembly products; drafting UK-proposed texts and chairing negotiations; reporting views of other UN Member States and UN Secretariat; representing UK on Security Council Committees; advising London on tactics to best deliver UK policy at the UN.
- Working with colleagues in the UK Mission, and colleagues across the UK network of posts from other UK Government departments, to make full use of UK Government influence across the UN to deliver UK policy to provide strategic advice to London.
- Briefing the UK Permanent Representative for, and reporting on, Security Council and other high-level meetings on issues on a variety of dossiers.
- Support delivery by other members of the Strategic Threats team, working collaboratively and flexibly where necessary.
This is a challenging role with the opportunity to lead on some of the Security Council’s highest profile issues and to develop specific expertise on issues related to international security, including counter-proliferation. The portfolio will grow as the job holder gains experience in the role. They will work in a fast-paced and changing environment and must be willing to support other team members and priorities as needed.
Essential characteristics are:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant field;
- At least four years of relevant work experience;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as part of a larger team;
- Ability to work flexibly and adapt to changing priorities across a range of tasks and responsibilities that require long-term planning, as well as reaction to urgent day-to-day developments;
- Proven track record of influencing a wide range of stakeholders, and strong briefing skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to deliver at pace;
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English;
- Must be a British, US, Canadian, Australian or New Zealand citizen.
Desirable characteristics are:
- Experience of work in public service/ public policy;
- Knowledge or experience of working in the UN;
- Knowledge or experience of working on international security issues, especially counter-proliferation;
- Familiarity with the UK Government.
Learning and development opportunities:
The UK Mission supports the professional learning and development of all its staff. There is considerable scope for personal development in the range of responsibilities outlined.
The UK Mission supports fully flexible working opportunities, to improve the work/ life balance of its staff and promote family-friendly working patterns, where operational and security needs allow.
The job offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The Mission is committed to building a diverse environment, free from discrimination, and prides itself on upholding the principles of diversity and inclusion and providing equal opportunities for all, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.