View Vacancy - CGZ - Trade & Investment Manager, Technology Sector, C4 (L)
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting and demanding leadership role for a talented and commercially driven individual with a passion for innovative technology to join DIT China as Deputy Head of the Technology Sector team and play an important role in delivering the technology strategy element of the DIT China Regional Trade Plan ambitions, which are:
- Objective 1 - Driving and inspiring UK exports to China, significantly increasing the UK market share of China's goods imports, and more than double the value of UK services exports.
- Objective 2 – Strengthened trade policy engagement with China to achieve incremental market access, mitigate business risk and prepare for future trade deals
- Objective 3 - Broadening and deepening the UK-China investment partnership, positioning the UK as the top European destination for Chinese investment and providing strong support for UK investors.
The Department for International Trade (DIT), operating in 108 countries, is helping to secure a deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU. Establishing new relationships around the globe, DIT promotes British trade to ensure the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving economic well-being, stability, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs.
DIT has one of the largest representations of the 18 government departments working in China, which are coordinated and led by Her Majesty’s Ambassador who is responsible for the UK’s relationship with China. Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) is responsible for Trade and Investment work in China and the Hong Kong SAR, one of nine global regions and the largest DIT overseas network in the world. With c180 staff across six posts - Beijing, plus Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the UK government network in China led by the Ambassador offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK: China and Hong Kong SAR Government relations.
Roles and responsibilities:
As Trade & Investment Manager for the technology sector, you will have a depth of insight into the technology components of the UK digital sector, and be aware of UK interests relevant to technology enabled commercial sectors. You will have commercial expertise, understand UK strengths and how to position these in the China, in particularly Great Bay Area. You will have the credibility and gravitas to bring together business leaders, government colleagues, industry professionals and academics across South China and the UK to deliver commercial ambitions through both trade policy and trade promotion work.
You will support sector leads to set out a clear, bold and ambitious vision and achieve maximum economic benefits where the UK has world class offerings in artificial intelligence, big data, Internet of things, communication and digital technologies. You will build synergies with key strategic partners and stakeholders, including regulatory bodies, Think Tanks, Chambers of Commerce and Industry and will work closely the UK government Science and Innovation Network (SIN) in China. Together you will identify ways to better integrate their foundation laying work to develop a pipeline of future potential business leads and opportunities.
As a key member of DIT Tech team, you will be responsible for delivering high value business wins and high quality two way investment flow between the UK and China through:
Relationship Management and Strategy Development (50%)
- Develop and manage relationships with key Chinese and UK tech businesses based in South China and ensure that ‘best in class’ strategic relationship management plans and practices are in place, offering tailored services wherever appropriate.
- Forge strong working relationships with Political, Economic, Prosperity and Science and Innovation sections, as well as with key partners such as CBBC, London & Partners, SDI, Invest NI.
- Work with sector lead to develop tech sector strategies and business plans in South China to maximize trade and investment commercial outcomes
Trade and Investment Promotion (20%):
- Support and lead on a series of trade promotion and marketing events to raise the profile and positive perception of the UK’s tech offer under specific GREAT campaigns, and deliver against trade and investment targets
- Leverage maximum trade and investment potential from a heavy programme of Ministerial, VIP visits and other high level bilateral activity with ambitious, future focused market access trade policy and promotion plans
Business Environment and Market Access (20%)
- Identify trade policy and market access barriers with and a long term perspective to achieve sustainable change in key areas that will create more opportunities for British businesses.
- Develop strong relationships with relevant regional government bodies to help overcome strategic trade market access and barriers and navigate the complex political landscape with a clear eye on commercial objectives
Corporate Contribution (10%)
- Play a key role in ensure that DIT and your team in particular will actively and constructively participate in Consulate activities
- Promote and contribute to the Consulate’s regional business plan and network values.
- Proven international experience, ideally in the Chinese context
- Excellent networking skills
- Evidence of strong commercial acumen
- Sound understanding of ICT sector, including drivers and barriers to trade and investment.
- Bachelor's degree or above is preferred
- 4-5 years relevant working experience, experience in the tech sector will be advantageouss
There is plenty of opportunity to develop on the job, and to establish expertise on trade policy. Specific areas and activities include:
- Courses and materials and offered by the trade / prosperity academy of the Diplomatic Academy
- Attending external events and conferences hosted by academic institutions, business chambers, etc
- Taking part in learning sets with Embassy colleagues
- Embassy Leadership Programmes
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary and insurance plan etc. The gross starting salary for this position before all deductions is RMB 27,596 /month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 35,959/month for British Nationals and spouses/partners of all nationalities of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General Guangzhou are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 23:55 China Standard Time on the specified application deadline.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
This opportunity is closed to applications.