View Vacancy - CPK - Deputy Head of Technology, C4 (L)
This is an exciting and demanding leadership role for a talented and commercially driven individual with a passion for innovative technology to join DIT China as Deputy Head of the Technology Sector team and play an important role in delivering the technology strategy element of the DIT China Regional Trade Plan ambitions, which are:
Objective 1 - Driving and inspiring UK exports to China, significantly increasing the UK market share of China's goods imports, and more than double the value of UK services exports.
Objective 2 – Strengthened trade policy engagement with China to achieve incremental market access, mitigate business risk and prepare for future trade deals
Objective 3 - Broadening and deepening the UK-China investment partnership, positioning the UK as the top European destination for Chinese investment and providing strong support for UK investors.
The Department for International Trade (DIT), operating in 108 countries, is helping to secure a deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU. Establishing new relationships around the globe, DIT promotes British trade to ensure the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving economic well-being, stability, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs.
DIT has one of the largest representations of the 18 government departments working in China, which are coordinated and led by Her Majesty’s Ambassador who is responsible for the UK’s relationship with China. Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC) is responsible for Trade and Investment work in China and the Hong Kong SAR, one of nine global regions and the largest DIT overseas network in the world. With c180 staff across six posts - Beijing, plus Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the UK government network in China led by the Ambassador offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK: China and Hong Kong SAR Government relations.
Roles and responsibilities:
As Deputy Head of Technology you will have a depth of insight into the technology components of the UK digital sector, and be aware of UK interests relevant to technology enabled commercial sectors. You will have commercial expertise, understand UK strengths and how to position these in the China market. You will have the credibility and gravitas to bring together business leaders, government colleagues, industry professionals and academics across China and the UK to deliver commercial ambitions through both trade policy and trade promotion work.
You will support sector lead to set out a clear, bold and ambitious vision and achieve maximum economic benefits where the UK has world class offerings in artificial intelligence, big data, Internet of things, communication and digital technologies. You will build synergies with key strategic partners and stakeholders, including regulatory bodies, Think Tanks, Chambers of Commerce and Industry and will work closely the UK government Science and Innovation Network (SIN) in China. You will engage with government colleagues in the UK in departments that includes DIT, BEIS and increasingly DCMS on the Digital Strategy. Together you will identify ways to better integrate their foundation laying work to develop a pipeline of future potential business leads and opportunities.
As a key member of DIT Tech team, you will be responsible for delivering high value business wins and high quality two way investment flow between the UK and China through:
Relationship Management and Strategy Development (40%)
- Develop and manage relationships with key Chinese and UK tech businesses based in North China and ensure that ‘best in class’ strategic relationship management plans and practices are in place, offering tailored services wherever appropriate.
- Forge strong working relationships with Political, Economic, Prosperity and Science and Innovation sections, as well as with key partners such as British Chambers of Commerce, British Council, CBI and China Britain Business Council, UK Visa and Immigration Services and Visit Britain.
- Work with sector lead to develop tech sector strategies and business plans to maximize trade and investment commercial outcomes
Trade and Investment Promotion (20%):
- Support a series of trade promotion and marketing events to raise the profile and positive perception of the UK’s tech offer under specific GREAT campaigns, and deliver against trade and investment targets
- Leverage maximum trade and investment potential from a heavy programme of Ministerial, VIP visits and other high level bilateral activity with ambitious, future focused market access trade policy and promotion plans
Business Environment and Market Access (30%)
- Work with sector lead and Head of Market Access to develop strong senior relationships with key relevant Chinese Government Ministries and UK Departments including DIT, BEIS, DCMS to help overcome strategic trade market access and barriers and navigate the complex political landscape with a clear eye on commercial objectives
- Identify trade policy and market access barriers with and a long term perspective to achieve sustainable change in key areas that will create more opportunities for British businesses
Corporate Contribution (c10%)
- Promote and contribute to the Embassy’s regional business plan and network values.
- Excellent spoken and written English and Mandarin
- Proven international experience, ideally in the Chinese context
- Excellent networking skills
- Evidence of strong commercial acumen
- Sound understanding of ICT sector, including drivers and barriers to trade and investment
- Bachelor's degree or above is preferred
- 4-5 years relevant working experience, experience in the tech sector will be advantageouss
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) is CNY 27,596 /month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY35,959 /month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 (China Standard Time) on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
Advertised start date is provisional and subject to successful completion of reference and security checks.
You may check your online FCO application centre for any updates.
This opportunity is closed to applications.