View Vacancy - Garden, Maintenance and Transport Supervisor (06/19 VIC)NO SUCSESSFUL CANDIDATE
Main purpose of job:
- Be responsible for the upkeep of the Residence gardens and ground.
- Supervise all maintenance works carried out at the High Commissioner’s Residence by Contractors & Service Providers.
- Peform general estate maintenance and tasks, corresponding with experience and skill
- Undertake driving duties related to ensuring the administrative operations of the high commission’s office e.g. dispatches, procurements, deliveries, etc… and assist High Commissioner with driving duties for official functions.
The British High Commission is looking for a person experienced in gardening and property maintenance with a valid driving experience of at least 10 years to join our busy and vibrant team. The person will be responsible for the maintenance of the High Commissioner’s Residence including its grounds and garden. These, together, form an important official entertainment asset for the High Commission.
The successful candidate will be a keen gardener who is environmentally aware. He/she will also be skilled and confident in carrying out basic property maintenance tasks and duties as delegated by the Corporate Services team. He/she will also be responsible for liaising with and supervising external contractors for specialised and preventative maintenance according to a routine schedule to ensure PCA compliance of the residential assets.
The person is also expected to undertake routine driving duties for the office administrative requirements including, but not limited to dispatches, procurements, etc… as well as assisting the High Commissioner on official functions when delegated.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Grounds & Garden (45%)
General gardening tasks including:
- Daily routine general tasks according to a rota e.g. vegetation control, cutting and edging of lawns, organic spraying for pest control, weeding, watering and maintaining flower/plant beds and sweeping of terraces as necessary
- Using the mulcher and looking after the composting set-up
- Sweeping and weeding of paths and the driveway as necessary
- Cleaning and maintenance of garden machinery and equipment
- Keep tool shed, garage and office/Residence store rooms clean, tidy and well-organised, stock control/monitoring and re-ordering
- Management of the residence and office recycling programs e.g. composting, redeeming of PET, cans and glass bottles
- Helping with set up and break-down for events at Residence
Maintenance Supervision (35%)
- The successful candidate will be skilled and confident in carrying out basic and routine building-related maintenance.
- He will also be responsible for meeting and supervisingregular and ad hoc external contractors for specialised and preventative maintenance according to a routine schedule at the Residence and/or office as instructed/guided by CSM
- Liaise with guards on duty and general oversight of guard facilities
Driving duties (20%)
The role shall also require some driving duties under the delegation of the CSM and/or High Commissioner as follows:
- Driving HC in flag car for evening engagements (overtime paid or time off in lieu) and to daytime ones when the HC is not self-driving
- Collecting/dropping off visitors using other official vehicles
- Collecting/delivering/receiving items for office using other official vehicles
- Keeping vehicles clean (once a week) and maintained (monitoring servicing requirements, oil, tyre pressure)
- Experience in maintenance work and an eye for detail;
- Gardening/Landscaping experience and / or knowledge and interest in plants
- Strong organisational skills. Experience in managing own workload with minimal oversight – a self starter
- Confidence, flexibility and ability to cope under pressure and with changing priorities.
- Good oral and written English is essential
- Driving licence with at least 10 years experience
- Knowledge of IT desirable
- Knowledge and interest in plants and trees
- Excellent customer care skills; ability to respond to a range of customer needs and cultivate strong local relationships;
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Victoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Seychelles.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
Obtain the relevant permit
Pay fees for the permit
Make arrangements to relocate
Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.