View Vacancy - Temporary Head of Communications
The British Embassy, Israel has vacancy for a Temporary Head of Communications (Maternity Cover), Grade – C5 (L) for 6 months.
Overview of the role:
Alongside senior Embassy colleagues, the temporary Head of Communications serves as the public face of the Embassy, driving forward an ambitious programme of public diplomacy events and delivers the Embassy’s communications strategy. This role requires high quality communication and political judgement, an ability to identify and exploit communication opportunities, and to navigate challenging stories.
The temporary Head of Communications will play a key role in the Embassy’s high-profile public diplomacy and media work. Reporting to the Deputy Ambassador, the successful candidate will be tasked with developing and implementing the Embassy’s communications strategy. Through the work of the Communications section, the individual will be responsible for securing high-profile coverage and public exposure of Embassy activities.
She or he will lead the communications team, made up of a Deputy Head of Communications and two Communications officers, and will oversee the Embassy’s outward-facing activities, including digital and large-scale public events. This includes responsibility for the section budget and leading a detailed Learning & Development effort.
The successful candidate will be hired for a temporary period for a maternity leave cover.
- Developing and overseeing delivery of a wide-ranging Comms strategy incorporating all aspects of the UK’s objectives in Israel.
- Shaping public messaging and providing real time advice to the Foreign Office in London, on a daily basis and during crisis, on how to best convey UK policy to local audiences and promote outreach to the Israeli public.
- Leading a high performing team of four to deliver high profile exposure and events for the Embassy. This includes responsibility for the section budget and leading a detailed Learning & Development effort.
- Providing high quality comms advice, analysis and insight to the Ambassador and senior Embassy staff, liaising with internal and external comms stakeholders to ensure that core UK messages are heard.
- Overseeing a savvy public profiling of the Ambassador and the UK in the media and social media, through speaking opportunities; VIP visits; relationship with prominent media outlets; and outreach to the Jewish community in the UK.
- Act as a member of the Embassy’s senior management team, making a significant contribution to the corporate management of the Embassy.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs. Focussing your contribution on the activities which will meet Embassy goals and deliver the greatest value.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Demonstrating Resilience - This is about helping our people to build resilience in international roles, supporting their ability to adapt to working in difficult and varied international environments and to bounce back from crises and setbacks in these contexts.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Mother tongue level of written and verbal communication skills in Hebrew and English.
- At least five years’ progressively senior experience in media and/or public relations.
- At least five years’ experience in managing a team.
- High-level leadership skills.
- Strategic awareness of UK-Israel relations and the role of the British Embassy in delivering UK objectives.
- Top-level communications skills.
- Highly-developed interpersonal, people management and team working skills.
- Creativity, flexibility and ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn).
- Motivation and enthusiasm to work as part of a small, agile, ambitious team.
- Knowledge and contacts in the Israeli press and foreign media based in Israel.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Experience in managing medium-large scale events.
- Experience in budget management.
- Experience in writing speeches and op-eds.
- Familiarity with the UK media based in Israel and Jewish media in the UK.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including social benefits. Parking facilities are not provided or paid for by the embassy.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Working hours are Monday to Thursday 8:00-16:00 and Friday 8:00-13:30, flexibility will be required including evening events and local travel.
This is a Full Time, Maternity Cover position for 6 months starting July 2019.
The successful candidate will be subject to a one-month probationary period.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as:
- Receive the appropriate level of security clearance;
- Candidates must be able to work legally in Israel.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
- A covering letter (no more than 1 page of A4) stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role and your salary expectations.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 22 May 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment/interview will be contacted.
The selection process will include a written exercise, an interview, with a possibility of additional screening process.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Tel Aviv is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.