View Vacancy - AUH - Translator and Administrative Officer A2(L)
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is looking for an energetic person to work as a full-time Translator and Administrative Officer in the Embassy’s dynamic Chancery Team. The position offers the opportunity to work in a friendly, supportive environment with plenty of scope for personal development.
The jobholder will provide translation services to all departments represented in Chancery, including Political, Economic, Protocol, International Development, and Gender Equality. They will also be expected to perform a variety of administrative tasks to support the work of Chancery and the wider Embassy, including supporting the Visits, Protocol, and Events teams as needed.
Duties and responsibilities:
– Translation (60%)
- Provide Arabic-English-Arabic translation for the Abu Dhabi Chancery Team, including, but not limited to: translating, and drafting note verbales, translating official correspondence, and assisting with other translation requests.
- Log Chancery Notes Verbales and maintain a database of various note formats and their Arabic translation.
- Provide translation to the Press and Public Affairs team, including, but not limited to: translating press releases, news articles, Ambassador’s speeches, and other content for the Embassy website and social media.
- Provide interpretation support as required.
- Support the UAE Visits and Protocol teams with translation services as required.
– Administrative support (40%)
- Assist the Visits and Protocol teams with official programmes for UK Ministers, VIPs, and other officials, including, but not limited to: arranging calls, acting as a point of contact, accompany during visits and recces.
- Assist the Culture and Events Officer to plan and deliver events hosted by the Chancery team and the wider Embassy.
- Collate/ translate biographies of key government officials and bodies.
- Contribute with Visits and Protocols team in collating and updating Chancery contacts.
- Support Chancery team when interacting with Arabic speaking contacts.
- Flexibility to respond to Chancery team requirements as they arise.
Key competencies required:
- Delivering at Pace - Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Managing a Quality Service - Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service, applying programme and project management approaches to support service delivery.
- Collaborating and Partnering - Creating and maintaining positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Demonstrating Resilience - Being aware of the impact you have on yourself and on others, and showing support for others with a pragmatic attitude, perseverance, and resolve. Having the ability to adapt to working in difficult and varied international environments and bounce back from crises and setbacks in these contexts.
- At least 2 years of experience of translation work
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, both verbal and written
- Strong IT skills and literacy in Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver to deadlines with due attention to detail
- Understanding of customers and delivering excellent service
- Translation certification (diploma, BA, etc.)
- Experience of working in an office environment and doing general administration duties
- Experience of working in the diplomatic or government field
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking and on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 11,108 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday. The jobholder will be required to be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will also be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the role.
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (UAE local time) on 23 May 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months. The successful candidate must be able to obtain a valid UK security clearance to the required level.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Abu Dhabi is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.